Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Feeling On Posting In Inappropriate Forums?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

My feeling on the question asked in the thread title: it's bad manners.

Posting in a forum merely because the more appropriate forum doesn't garner the traffic levels a thread-starter would like isn't sufficient justification. Actually, if anything, it's worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Look up a definition of arguing - it's broader than what one normally associates with the term. It doesn't necessarily imply rudeness, etc.

Again, I'm trying repeatedly to both explain and understand. Hence, the replies...
    Hmmm... Just in case this is a misunderstanding: I'm not saying you're posting to get attention for the sake of getting attention - I know you have a query, and need an answer. I empathise. However, I've outlined reasons why I believe ("feel") posting in another forum because it gets more traffic than the 'appropriate' forum is not acceptable.
    I'll reply again to try explain things or to try understand if needs be, or if you take another cheapshot. Otherwise... Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Whyfore was a thread about Christmas parties in Amsterdam moved from AH to Collectables and Antiques?

I hope its a genuine error, because if its supposed to be some way of teaching eo980 a lesson, frankly its a bit petty to go dragging other people's threads into it. Well no, its a lot petty actually. Not to mention bloody unfair on the other poster.

Whyfore was a thread about Christmas parties in Amsterdam moved to Collectables and Antiques?

I hope its a genuine error, because if its supposed to be some way of teaching eo980 a lesson, frankly its a bit petty to go dragging other people's threads into it. Well no, its a lot petty actually. Not to mention bloody unfair on the other poster.
    It was obviously a mistake. It worries me that anyone could conceive it as anything else. It's the product of my insomnia, tabbed browsing and distractions. I sent a PM to the OP of that thread explaining the mistake, the next course of action that will be taken, and an apology. It'll be moved shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Karoma wrote:
    Look up a definition of arguing - it's broader than what one normally associates with the term. It doesn't necessarily imply rudeness, etc.

Again, I'm trying repeatedly to both explain and understand. Hence, the replies...
    Hmmm... Just in case this is a misunderstanding: I'm not saying you're posting to get attention for the sake of getting attention - I know you have a query, and need an answer. I empathise. However, I've outlined reasons why I believe ("feel") posting in another forum because it gets more traffic than the 'appropriate' forum is not acceptable.
    I'll reply again to try explain things or to try understand if needs be, or if you take another cheapshot. Otherwise... Goodnight.

No I wasn't arguing, it was definetly a statement which you've mistaken for an arguement. I didn't throw any cheapshots, I stand by everything I've said thus far, but.................

........ in fairness, the above is an almost flawless reply. Quality stuff, I read it as you being almost nice and pleasant actually. Fair play to you. So are we agreeing to disagree and shall we shake hands?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Karoma wrote:
    It was obviously a mistake. It worries me that anyone could conceive it as anything else. It's the product of my insomnia, tabbed browsing and distractions. I sent a PM to the OP of that thread explaining the mistake, the next course of action that will be taken, and an apology. It'll be moved shortly.
    Fair enough :)

eo980 wrote:
    No I wasn't arguing, it was definetly a statement which you've mistaken for an arguement. I didn't throw any cheapshots, I stand by everything I've said thus far, but.................

........ in fairness, the above is an almost flawless reply. Quality stuff, I read it as you being almost nice and pleasant actually. Fair play to you. So are we agreeing to disagree and shall we shake hands?
    I didn't take this personally from start to finish. I'm going to though if you keep calling me names and other cheapshots (Re-read the thread). Otherwise, I really don't hold a grudge. I'm not actually being too rude or mean or anything else that you seem to perceive. There's nothing to shake on. And my position remains the same: do it again and further action will be taken (It's more of a statement of fact and warning than a nasty threat). Don't take it personally.

Karoma wrote:
    I didn't take this personally from start to finish. I'm going to though if you keep calling me names and other cheapshots (Re-read the thread). Otherwise, I really don't hold a grudge. I'm not actually being too rude or mean or anything else that you seem to perceive. There's nothing to shake on. And my position remains the same: do it again and further action will be taken (It's more of a statement of fact and warning than a nasty threat). Don't take it personally.

Now you just went and spolit your last reply which I thought was almost great. I only gave as good as I got and I did indeed perceive you as being rude. You mentioned my bottom and holding my hand, neither of which I mentioned before you. A fellow poster even said you were curt, I guess we're both wrong.
    I most certainly won't be doing it again. Having never done it before and being warned THREE times in fairly quick succession that I risked a ban for such a thing (again having never done it before) I most certainly don't plan on doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

kILL EM ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If the collectibles/Antiques forum isn't getting any traffic then you could have posted here, eo980, about it. It looks like it needs a mod as it only has WWM, the CMod there.

• Advertisement

Fair enough so Gordon. I use it so very infrequently myself I never thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

eo980 wrote:
    Hey Mods/Admins,

[Summary of the OP deciding to post in AH for traffic]
    My thread was moved by a moderator as seemingly I put it there for 'traffic'.
    WTF?

And this was dying nicely! Congrats Talliesin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

No it was dead to begin with and went through various stages of rigor mortis.

If you want to address the policy of not allowing threads in AH that belong elsewhere but where put into AH to get more traffic then do so. Don't go through a 2 paragraph description where you say flat-out that you put an inappropriate thread into AH for traffic and then 2 paragraphs where you try to say that you didn't put it there for traffic. That sort of logic belongs in humour or TCN.

Locked.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The reason why the Antiques and Collectibles forum is dead is because people keep posting relevant threads in irrelevant forums. Seriously, how did you conclude that AH was the next more relevant forum?

Or did you put it there because it had lots of traffic and when the mod nailed it exactly you took the hump and everything kicked off...

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement