Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cream leather interior

Options
  • 05-12-2006 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if anyone had advice with regard to getting a car with cream leather interior cleaned. Like a car, only comes in cream leather - would anyone advise me to steer clear.

Any advise would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

is it really mankey? Or is this just a for future reference question?

I've always found the my leather interior easy to clean and motor factors or furniture shops do leather cleaner.

If the car is mankey it might be an indication of how the car was treated through its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Stekelly wrote:
    is it really mankey? Or is this just a for future reference question?

I've always found the my leather interior easy to clean and motor factors or furniture shops do leather cleaner.

Should have mentioned that its gonna be a brand new car. Have had a car with black leather til now but just wanted to know if I was walking myself into trouble keeping in looking clean / well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would say that cream leather would obviously require alot more regular cleaning than black or grey leather as it shows up even the slightest of dirt especially if you have small children.

It would probably ware about the same though and does look much nicer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The cream leather seats shouldn't really be THE problem, given a bit of TLC and saddle soap.

I'd be far more worried about the (usually also) cream coloured carpetry and door cards. One mucky (or even worse oily) shoe is all it takes to spoil the illusion of grandeur :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Gliptone Leather Cleaners & Conditioners would keep leather in good shape. Would of course need to be cleaned more often, than a darker colour. As Peasant said, the carpets and vinyl trim elsewhere is more of a problem. Some cars now have cream leather with darker coloured carpets, headlining, vinyl trim etc. This is probably the best option for ease of maintenance and the classier look which cream gives over grey or black.

An all cream interior can be protected with fabric guard / water repellents / UV guard etc but it would still be a never ending chore to keep clean. They can get grubby very quickly, especially with our wet weather & dirty streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My current MINI has Beige Leather (I don't call it cream, cream the last time I checked was white), and I've had it almost 12 months. It's so easy to clean, keep baby wipes in the car for spills, and then once every 3 months give it a nice soapy water bath, followed by some leather cream. Easy.

The leather cream is optional, but it prevents drying and cracking of the leather. My new MINI for January has Black Leather, not by choice, I'd have preferred Beige again. I'll still do the same routine for keeping it clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

My car has beige leather. Gets a lot of abuse but no problem keeping it clean. Including cleaning after someone sat on a punnet of strawberries.

Every few weeks clean with a "leather cleaner and conditioner".

Only the seats and an inset in the dooor is beige. Carpets are black.

Think looks much better than a dark colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

many thanks for all the advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    I'd be far more worried about the (usually also) cream coloured carpetry and door cards

Indeed. I've cream leather and it's fine. Leather is so much easier to clean than cloth. Even after accidents involving small kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Yeah, once you don't let it get too bad a wipe now and again and an occasional leather cream will do.

My fiercely independent two year old insists on climbing into his baby seat on his own. Unfortunately this involves standing up on the back seat and reversing his ass in over the side, but a wipe now and again removes the footprints.

Of more concern is his habit of resting his shoed feet up on the back of the passenger seat. At the first sign of scuffing he's out of the family!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I used to think it would take more minding than cloth, but it actually takes less. Even with kids.

The only caveat I'd put on cream is the aforementined door cards and kick panels in the footwells - keep them clean. If you work in a clean environment and live in one, e.g. suburbia/office, you won't collect gunge on your shoes etc anyway.

If you live down a muddy boithrin oth............maybe not so good in cream!

Finally, DON'T use washing up liquid on the leather - or any detergent - the salt in those kills the leather and dries it out. I use a Swissol kit on mine, which includes cleaner, conditioner/milk, colour and finish - cost me Eur130, but the car always looked like new inside.

Warm water on it's own has a remarkable cleaning effect, btw......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah I'd agree witht the lads here, I have very light grey leather in one of my cars and a baby wiper every couple of weeks is all thats required. I would also suggest you use something like Autoglym leather conditioner on it from new as this tends to protect it from day one !

One very important thing to watch is that if you site into it wearing new dark cloths that are slightly damp, maybe from the rain, you can get dye transfer which is hard to get off.

Coming up to Christmas someone may buy you a nice new leather/suade jacket, you may wash the car, get damp and :eek:

............ask me how I know !! :cool:

Anyway IMO a lighter leather always looks far nicer and more luxurious than black, so its worth the little extra care !

Advertisement