Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

american bull terrier

Options
  • 05-12-2006 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi we have researched the american bull terrier over the past few months but are having trouble locating a breeder in Ireland, we have everything ready for a new pup, can anyone offer advice, thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dkdaveyk wrote:
    can anyone offer advice, thanks:D
    Yea, try the Animals and Pets Forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Animals and Pets Issues forum is located under the Rec menu at the top of the page, OP. Welcome aboard. :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moved to Animals and Pet Issues - welcome to boards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

American PIT Bull Terrier or American Bull DOG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I had a staff myself (abandonded after an organised fight in Dublin City centre) Glad to see you have researched the breed properly, they can be awful eejits at times. People attitudes to the dogs can be very negative, remember, depending on where you live, it is likely that you will never ever be able to walk the dog off the lead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Your not supposed to walk your dog off a lead anyway.

Contact rescues sometimes bull breeds come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dkdaveyk

American pitbull mate

:D Hey thanks for all your helpful replies about american bull terriers, still after a breeder?? Is there any at all, anyone know anything about buying abroad?? thanks :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

dkdaveyk, I know you are new here but please only create ONE thread on any one topic. Creating multiple threads on one issue will result in a ban next time.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If you are looking for an APBT then you should state so and not confuse the matter by naming a breed that does not exist ;). The APBT is not a recognised breed here and in most of the European States. In most countries on mainland Europe APBT and the breeding of them it banned. Also, alot of Airlines refuse to transport them regardless of age, so you need to be absolutely sure of the law before you attempt to buy in the States for example. You cannot bring an APBT via the UK for example. And I am not sure if the States are a member of the PET Scheme. Bringing in a pup is impossible as you will have to wait 6 months until th rabies vacc kicks in. I have several APBT here, young dogs as well, but I am very thorough with HCs before and after and I am not easily pleased, mate ;).

• Advertisement

Your not supposed to walk your dog off a lead anyway.

Who told you that? It's up to your local Local Authority.

Many local authorities have introduced bye-laws to indicate areas where dogs must be kept on a leash or even prohibited. Your local authority will be able to inform you of the bye-laws that apply in your area. Breaches of these bye-laws relating to dogs in your area can result in fines on summary conviction.

I asked the park wardens in my local park and they told me I am allowed to walk them off the lead as long as they are under control and its before 11 AM.

Control of dogs act;

Rules relating to certain breeds of dog

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (S.I. No. 442 of 1998) impose additional rules in relation to the following breeds (and strains/cross-breeds) of dog in Ireland:

* American Pit Bull Terrier
    * English Bull Terrier
    * Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    * Bull Mastiff
    * Dobermann Pinscher
    * German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    * Rhodesian Ridgeback
    * Rottweiler
    * Japanese Akita
    * Japanese Tosa
    * Bandog

The rules state that:

* These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead at all times when outdoors, by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    * These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
    * These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.

Other than the breeds quoted above (which MUST be on a lead 100% of the time you spend outside), you are required to be in complete control of your dog at all times (not possible imho) or it can be considered a nuisance and be seized.

B

Right... I know the law and I don't have an American Pit Bull Terrier, never said I did. And if you look at the earlier posts you will see that I was the one that pointed out he will hardly ever be able to walk the dog without a lead. (the only time he would is on private land) This is a quote from the same act..

Bye-laws

Many local authorities have introduced bye-laws to indicate areas where dogs must be kept on a leash or even prohibited. Your local authority will be able to inform you of the bye-laws that apply in your area. Breaches of these bye-laws relating to dogs in your area can result in fines on summary conviction.

Was'nt trying to say you were wrong lightening. Just highlighted the bits relevent to the thread which is called "American Pit Bull Terrier" btw.

B

yeah... cool, sorry about that Frank. They are a lovely dog though, all the bull terriers, its just a nightmare owning them. People react like you are walking a crocodile!

sorry bout that, thanks for the info mate, learning the ropes!!

Thanks Egar, I do realise it is APBT. I just used ABT for the thread. I have visited your website and think it is great the work you and your group do. Myself and my partner are mad about the APBT and have spent months researching before we decided on this breed. We have no kids yet and are responsible 30+ adults. We have our house and yard ready and awaiting a pup, also a good friend who trains police and RAF dogs. We have a number of a lady in Dublin with pups available in Feb. Thanks again for the info mate, will keep an eye on you site but its realy a pup we are after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

you should try contacting the local autorities animal pounds/shelters and tell them what you are looking for or even try contacting the people at www.irishanimals.ie and they might be able to tell you if they are any in foster homes that you might be able to adopt

Advertisement