Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Start up problem with Windows 98

• 05-12-2006 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

I'm having start up problems on a fairly venerable Dell computer. It will load the OS up to the Windows logo but no start menu or desktop. I've tried to get in to safe mode by using f8 but no joy. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Does there sound like the hard drive is doing anything after the logo is showing? Any text displayed on the screen or anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Ruu wrote:
    Does there sound like the hard drive is doing anything after the logo is showing? Any text displayed on the screen or anything else?

Yes it continues intermittently. I can get in to the set up utility but nothing to change there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 sparkicks1

this could be just with xp (as i cant really remember 98 that well) but if your still getting something up just not your start menu or desktop mabey explorer isnt started. if you do ctrl alt del task manager then go to file and new task enter "explorer" and press enter (without "")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

^Yep think that is with XP only. Have you got a bootdisk, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Try the following
    Start computer in DOS mode (F8...Command Prompt Only) Then run:
    Scanreg /restore
    chose a restore point, wait for restore to occur and reboot.
    Might fix the problem

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads, holding down ctrl+alt+enter has got me into safe mode I'll investigate from there and let you know how I get on. One strange thing showing is "plug and play configuration error" because there are no p+p devices attached, maybe it's just going senile.

OK, I've discovered a disabled display adapter in Device Manager, I'm assuming this is the problem as I can't find anything else but I can't enable it from safe mode. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

maybe you can delete it in save mode?and reboot?it should find the driver then.
    Do u have another graphics card to try?

Also maybe you can go into settings/advanced/adaptor/and change it to a vga 800 x600.
    And reboot.

Another option is if you have a win98 cd backed up on computer,you can go through dos and reinstall windows but keep the old files when asked and you wont lose anything.

Try a scandisk on the drive.

***When you see the win98 logo does the bar stop moving below it?Normally with graphic card driver probs you get a vxd message
    regards kieran

tried all that.managed to delete the adapter & reinstall with driver but no joy there also seems to be an issue with the cd rom. I'm inclined to think this " plug + play configuration error" might have something to do with it but I've no idea what that means.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

to do a full check the drive from DOS - the /surface means it will take some time.

c:\>scandisk /all /autofix /surface

a bit late now but if you could get to the dos prompt you could have gone
    CD Windows
    edit system.ini

update the line to say
    *displayfallback=1
    save/exit
    Reboot in normal mode and you will have VGA for that boot, to allow you to tweak the video settings.

If you adjusted the refresh rate too high or you choose too high a resolution or swapped monitors (or had a strange monitor failure) you might be able to get into windows but not see anything on the screen, Running LCD's above 60Hz sometimes does this :(

• Advertisement

Many thanks lads, followed your suggestions and managed to get up and running in Windows again. Can't exactly pinpoint what cured it (I'd like to pass the solution on) but it was definitely something suggested here. The p+p configuration error message hasn't gone away but I'll live with that. Thanks again.

Advertisement