Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a Celica???

Options
  • 05-12-2006 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I am writing this in the knowledge that i am likely to be laughed at but i'm well used to that at this stage! :rolleyes:

Basically i want to buy a celica like this one next year:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=531133
    I have a full licence and hopefully by the time i buy it(if i buy it) will have 2 yrs NCB but will also only be at the ripe old age of 20!!!

This is my problem, are any insurance companies going to look twice at me with a 2l Celica?

I can afford the car but i dont want to pay a ridiculous insurance premium. I'm currently with Quinn direct paying €2000 fully comp on a 00 1.4 astra sport!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot really give you a ball park figure as there are too many variables that insurance companies take into consideration when calculating premiums.

Have you rang around insurance companies for quotes? That will give you some idea what you will be likely to pay.

Also try a few online quotes:

http://www.insure.ie
    http://www.quoteline.ie
    http://www.123.ie

Better to know what it will cost first before you go out and buy the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

yea i plan on getting a few solid quotes before i even start looking around, most of the online quotes have told me to call as they cannot provide me with a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

im 22, with 3years ncb and a full license fr over a year..my nsurance was bout 2000 on a 97 celica 2.0 import

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I'm 23, female, 2 yrs Ncb, full licence with a 95 celica gt and I'm paying 1400 third party. I'm with Hibernian for the last few years but I think they changed their policy last year about insuring 'sports cars'. As far as I'm aware they wont take on new business and are only continuing existing premiums.

Few Tips:
    1) dont go for the gt4- its turbo and you wont have a hope.
    2) If you buy an irish car as opposed to an import you'll have more hope of getting insured.
    3) your best bet is probably stickin with your current insurer-you'll only be changin the vehicle and thus they'll have to at least give you a quote.

I'm with Hibernian since I started driving (about 5 yrs now) and when I was getting my insurance renewed over the summer I took out the phone book and rang every insurance company in it. Hibernian are the only ones that would even quote me!! and thats only cause I was existing business to them.

You'll hear 'your under 25 and its a class A car' ALOT! Best of look though-I love my baby

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Im a hibernian employee........

I don't know if many people know this but theres actually only about 5 insurance companies in the country
    • Hibernian
    • Axa
    • Quinn
    • Allianz
    • FBD

All other comapnies like Coyle Hamilton etc.. are all brokers, that is, they get all the monetary backing / quotes from one of these five companies.

My advice is to try all 5 directly as a broker doesn't have the last refusal, the company it's brokering with (one of the big 5) does.

My opinion however ....... they wouldn't touch you on a 2l Celica

sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Chunks wrote:
    Im a hibernian employee........

My advice is to try all 5 directly as a broker doesn't have the last refusal, the company it's brokering with (one of the big 5) does.

How come a quote for me is from Hibernian is significantly cheaper through a broker (Tesco) than Hibernian direct :confused:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i'm currently insured with hibernian through britton insurance. the britton quote was over 300 less than the hibernian one for a 95 1.3 corolla on a provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

How come a quote for me is from Hibernian is significantly cheaper through a broker (Tesco) than Hibernian direct :confused:

Yes, same with me? I'd like to now why the broker always seems to be able to give you a better quote.

I'ts almost like the insurance companies prefer to deal with one broker then 50 customers so they just give you a higher quote when you call..

Anyway Good luck with your Celica I've been a fan since the old rally days and have had a 5th, 6th and now my 7th gen Celica T-Sport. The only problem I've ever had was a flat battery! :D

EDIT: The gear box in the 6th gen is the best ever, very smooth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

How come a quote for me is from Hibernian is significantly cheaper through a broker (Tesco) than Hibernian direct

It all comes down to the company policy i.e; how much risk they are willing to take.

There's a lot of brokers out there that quote considerably less than companies such as hibernian in order to get the business. Remember though that their yearly turnover is less as they make more payments out. Basically it boils down to the fact that they (the brokers) can't pick and choose who they want to insure as much as Hibernian Axa etc...

Also, with brokers your excess might be considerably more i.e; if you have a smash you have to pay the first 800+ euro while with Hibernian etc.. your excess will be lower because they wouldn't see you as a higher risk. It's much of a muchness really, i'd rather be insured with Hibernian Axa etc.. if I had a smash cos the excess I'd have to pay would be less while on the other hand a broker might quote me a cheaper premium (but with a higher excess) It's all a gamble. Will you or won't you crash? Can you afford a higher excess?

Quinn Direct have the lowest quotes statistically. However, it's been proven that they can't keep this 'low quote' policy up for much longer. If you're looking for a new quote I don't think I'd go with Quinn cos your premium could jump a fair bit in the following year / s*

*Only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Mojito wrote:
    Anyway Good luck with your Celica I've been a fan since the old rally days and have had a 5th, 6th and now my 7th gen Celica T-Sport. The only problem I've ever had was a flat battery! :D
    QUOTE]

Yea I’ve been a big fan of the celica since the rally days too its a legend of a rally car. Unfortunately some "unsavoury characters" have been driving them these days along with their civic's & glanza's :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Yea I’ve been a big fan of the celica since the rally days too its a legend of a rally car. Unfortunately some "unsavoury characters" have been driving them these days along with their civic's & glanza's
    At least them characters have owned a celica. The insurance is nothing to do with the type of characters driving the cars, try and insure any 2Litre sports car and you`ll encounter the same insurance headaches. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

sonners wrote:
    Few Tips:

Ah, do - they're great :) When I was 23 I paid 2,300 for TPF&T on a jap import GT-Four. A lot of money I know, but it's a lot of car too. The handling is fantastic.

sonners wrote:
    2) If you buy an irish car as opposed to an import you'll have more hope of getting insured.

It's very hard to find an Irish/English car. They were never popular when they were new. I was quoted 425 fully comp this year on a 2.0l Celica...... 'course the muppet was supposed to be giving me a quote for a GT-Four.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

sonners wrote:
    I'm 23, female, 2 yrs Ncb, full licence with a 95 celica gt and I'm paying 1400 third party. I'm with Hibernian for the last few years but I think they changed their policy last year about insuring 'sports cars'. As far as I'm aware they wont take on new business and are only continuing existing premiums.

Few Tips:
    3) your best bet is probably stickin with your current insurer-you'll only be changin the vehicle and thus they'll have to at least give you a quote.

I'm with Hibernian since I started driving (about 5 yrs now) and when I was getting my insurance renewed over the summer I took out the phone book and rang every insurance company in it. Hibernian are the only ones that would even quote me!! and thats only cause I was existing business to them.

You'll hear 'your under 25 and its a class A car' ALOT! Best of look though-I love my baby
    Ah ye women and yer cheap insurance... makes me sick!! ;)
    I had to wait patiently till I was 25 to get insured on one.
    Quinn do give the cheapest quotes, but even if they do go up in the future, go with them and change at renewal time!! (I'm with FBD by the way, a lot cheaper than next rival.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

celicas seem a bit of a mystery to me. i currently drive an integra, was looking at getting a ssII last year, was paying 1500 on a intergra (1.6) was quoted 8,500 THIRD PARTY on a celica SSII (Basically the jap version of the GT - 2.0 non turbo) broker said it would be cheaper for me to get the gt4.

Advertisement