Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plunkett Station traffic 'roulette' under review (Munster Express)

• 05-12-2006 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

From the Munster Express, 1 December 2006
    http://www.munster-express.ie/news3.html
    By Jamie O'Keeffe

Proposals are to be considered as to how to solve the daily traffic chaos at the Plunkett Station/Rice Bridge roundabout in Waterford city.

Waterford Labour TD Brian O'Shea has been informed by the City Council that it is currently engaging a traffic consultant to review the entire N25 corridor, especially both bridge junctions. In the meantime the Council says it's continuing to monitor the situation.

With an average weekday volume of around 40,000 vehicles, Deputy was told that traffic flows are " optimised" on to and off Rice Bridge at present. " Traffic emerging from the train station activates the pedestrian crossing on the N9, thereby assisting access to the roundabout. With the present arrangement, it is not possible to give a dedicated signalised exit from the train station" , the local authority said.

While these changes to the junction have made it easier for traffic heading towards Kilkenny, Clonmel or New Ross, cars coming out of the train station face a game of roulette just to try > get on the roundabout. Rail passengers emerging from the station carpark, or people doing drop-offs/pick-ups, can find themselves stuck for ages at the exit, particularly in the evenings.

Forced to play cat and mouse with cars and trucks coming from both the Dublin road and Waterford city directions, the junction is an accident waiting to happen, and a nightmare for elderly drivers.

Whatever about the Council's review, simply putting a garda or two on point duty at peak times would seem an obvious interim measure.

Any ideas on what they will or could do about the bridge between now and the opening of the new bypass?

One thing that really annoys me is when I'm coming home from Kilkenny at around 6. It's impossible to get over the bridge from the Dublin Road at that time, since all the traffic coming from the city towards New Ross has priority. I've spent up to 20 minutes queuing there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I get the train home every weekend from college and I've been complaining about that traffic situation for a long time. Not necessarily waiting long to get out, but it's a ****ing deathtrap! Everytime I'm there I see at least 2 or 3 accidents narrowly avoided. I'm surprised no-ones gotten killed there. The artics ****ing floor it coming around the roundabout, and everyone pulling out of the station has the nose of the car out at least 2 feet from the white line. Bloody ridicolous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

well coming across the bridge going staright up by the hypermarket if peoples wouldnt try to turn right and traffic coming against them there mightend be so much taffic.I know they are entitled to turn right but they shouldnt be as it slows everybody down.and the traffic lights on the roundabout just made the hole lot worse.cant wait until they build that second bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Car Mad wrote:
    well coming across the bridge going staright up by the hypermarket if peoples wouldnt try to turn right and traffic coming against them there mightend be so much taffic.I know they are entitled to turn right but they shouldnt be as it slows everybody down.and the traffic lights on the roundabout just made the hole lot worse.cant wait until they build that second bridge

When I first read this post, I was thinking "what is this muppet on about, how then would anyone get from the Bridge to Gracedieu?", but the sense in your post soon dawned on me.

If they banned this right turn though, they would have to do it as part of a general reorganisation of traffic on Morgan St, Philip St, the Glen and possibly also on Summerhill and Military Road.

It would make sense to force Gracedieu-bound traffic to go via Morgan St, but it would only work if that traffic could come easily up the Glen, possibly with priority being given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

muppet eh.im the only one on here making any sense.it would take a lot of organizing but it would be woth it in the end.i hate it when people turn right there they turn and the next min the light is red.im sure there is another way to gracedieu (is there?) it probably would take longer but what could be longer than waiting 10mins to turn right because theres traffic coming against you and your slowing down every one behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Getting out of the train station is a bloody nightmare, you have to keep snaking out across the line until someone stops, or gun it as soon as there is a slight gap and cut in front of someone. I once saw a taxi driver nearly hit someone, he just pulled in front of someone who had to stop sudden.

Between the regular traffic and the w@nker taxi drivers (some are not fit to have licences anymore), the station is really an accident in the works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

fricatus wrote:
    When I first read this post, I was thinking "what is this muppet on about....

Yes it does take a few reads to try and comprehend!:D

Sorry Car_Mad but your grammar sucks big time:eek: (Although I do take your point onboard);)

Yes, the train station situation is a bloody nightmare, agreed. And yes, as a temporary solution, they should have Gardai directing the flow of traffic here everyday, at least during peak hours. They couldn't make the matter in this particular area any worse could they? (In other situations I tend to think they do)!!

Let's hope that there isn't anybody injured here until the situation is resolved - permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What causes mega disruption is that a right turn is allowed from the bridge into Grattan Quay. In the mornings muppets waiting to turn right block up the whole road and no one gets thru on the green light.

Advertisement