Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incident Handling and Hacker Exploits

• 05-12-2006 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi folks,

I'm just trying to get an idea of numbers before possibly scheduling a course. Is there anyone here who would be interested in attending a SANS GCIH Incident Handling and Hacker Exploits course in the new year (Say Jan-Feb). It would run once a week for 3 hours, venue to be decided. We ran it in DCU last time, but could change venue if people were interested.

Some details (and feel free to ask questions):

SANS MENTOR PROGRAM

Normally the Mentorship program is run over 10 sessions of 2 hours each. The last course was run from September in DCU, and due to restrictions on the venue was run over 9 weeks for 3 hours each. More information on the SANS mentor program can be found on the SANS Website at: http://www.sans.org/mentor/about.php?portal=e48b41ed5faec340ce762a50a654f2aa

The format of the Mentor program is to lead the Students through the course by means of showing examples and demonstrations of the techniques that they are studying, backed up with addressing any questions that the students have, and helping them prepare for the exam

DETAILS ON THE COURSE

Currently I am qualified to offer a Mentor course in Incident Handling and Hacker Exploits which results in a GCIH (GIAC Certified Incident Handler) Certification upon completion. A good breakdown of the course can be found here:

http://www.sans.org/training/description.php?tid=243

The course concentrates on 2 key areas. The Incident Handling section focuses on a formal system for preparing for, identifying, containing, and eradicating Security Incidents. The Hacker Exploits section then focuses on demonstrating threats that the students are likely to see in the wild, from both an attackers and defenders perspective. Topics include Buffer Overflow, Web Application attacks, Malware etc.

I am hoping to offer a course in Computer Forensics later next year, however this is not available as off yet.

THE CRAPPY PART - COST
    The exact cost of the program is set by SANS. It is normally $2450 per person. This includes the exam and certification itself. This is also cheaper than sitting the exam from books.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to call me.

IMPORTANT

I did not intend this to breach forum rules regarding advertising. I have seen many people here mention SANS classes before so thought people would be interested. The classes are not set in place yet, I am just trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

THE CRAPPY PART - COST
    The exact cost of the program is set by SANS. It is normally $2450 per person. This includes the exam and certification itself. This is also cheaper than sitting the exam from books.

There are very many people here on the boards & elsewhere, i'm sure who would love to attend, (including myself) but simply cannot afford the extortionate fees.

As i mentioned before, you can pretty much get qualified in anything these days, if you've got the cash, even if you've just walked off the street having not touched a computer in your life.

"hey, i'm certified by SANS.." :rolleyes:

Advertisement