Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire radio ad - really off putting!

Options
  • 05-12-2006 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone else find the Clearwire broadband ads a little weird.

That whole "the American way" tag they use. It's not the 1950s and given the general poor image of the US abroad thesedays, it's not really a tag that's likely to inspire warm fuzzy feelings with the entire audience.

They also have a "Text America" to some number for further information.

Very odd marketing campaign. Is it really intendent for an Irish audience?:confused:

It's not that I'm anti-American (although I do not agree with their foreign policy), but I wouldn't really warm to a product that said "The British Way !" or the "French way!" etc either.

It just comes across as extremely patronising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭leche solara

Completely agree with you. Gives the impression that every other way but the American Way is substandard. They should realise that when in Ireland it will be the Irish way* whatever their intentions.

* = unpunctual, shoddy service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Those adds have annoyed me since they originally started!

I really dont understand why they are doing it...mabye it was a decision by the corporate hedquarters in the US or something!!!!

Personially I would prefer the Swedish way or French way myself as they have the fastest speeds and most open markets in Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

These terms and conditions are what Clearwire REALLY think of their customers and are illegal in my opinion. This bull**** IS the Amercian way . Irish law states that your product must be "Fit For The Purpose" while Clearwire state that they are not responsible for anything at all , ever. They will promise to call you back to tell you this but other than their sales department they NEVER call YOU back, EVER.

http://www.clearwire.ie/cwi/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=151_163

a snippet for you ( their caps)
    25. DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY. (A) EXCEPT AS SET FORTH IN SECTION 5, THE SERVICE AND EQUIPMENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, SAVE FOR STATUTORY WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, NON-INTERFERENCE, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SECTION 39 OF THE SALE OF GOODS AND SUPPLY OF SERVICES ACT 1980 OR ANY LEGISLATION AMENDING, REPLACING OR SUPPLEMENTING THE SAME IS HEREBY EXCLUDED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW. ANY STATEMENTS MADE IN ANY PACKAGING, MANUALS OR OTHER DOCUMENTS, OR BY ANY CLEARWIRE EMPLOYEES OR REPRESENTATIVES, ARE PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND NOT AS WARRANTIES BY CLEARWIRE. NEITHER CLEARWIRE NOR IT AFFILIATES OR SUPPLIERS WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE OR FREE FROM SERVICE DEGRADATION, OR THAT ANY INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, OR OTHER MATERIAL ACCESSIBLE ON THE SERVICE ARE FREE FROM VIRUSES, WORMS, TROJAN HORSES, OR OTHER CODE THAT MANIFESTS CONTAMINATING OR DESTRUCTIVE PROPERTIES. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THE QUALITY OF THE SERVICE MAY BE AFFECTED BY CONDITIONS WITHIN OR BEYOND OUR CONTROL, INCLUDING ATMOSPHERIC, GEOGRAPHIC, OR TOPOGRAPHIC CONDITIONS, OVERALL NETWORK USAGE LEVELS, NETWORK SIGNAL QUALITY, USER AND THIRD PARTY EQUIPMENT PERFORMANCE, INTERNET TRAFFIC LEVELS, AND OTHER FACTORS. CLEARWIRE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DELAY OR FAILURE IN PERFORMANCE DUE TO EVENTS OUTSIDE CLEARWIRE’S REASONABLE CONTROL, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY FLOOD, FIRE, ACCIDENT, EMBARGO OR OTHER GOVERNMENTAL ACT OR DIRECTIVE, ABSENCE OF GOVERNMENTAL APPROVAL OR CONSENT, DELAY OR DEFECT IN DELIVERY BY SUPPLIERS, TRANSPORTATION DELAY OR UNAVAILABILITY, RIOT, WAR, ACT OF TERRORISM OR OF THE PUBLIC ENEMY, POWER OUTAGE, LABOUR DISPUTE OR SHORTAGE, THIRD PARTY NETWORK PROBLEMS, ACTS OR OMISSIONS OF UNDERLYING CARRIERS OR OTHER THIRD PARTIES, OR ACTS OF GOD. SERVICE IS ONLY AVAILABLE WITHIN THE COVERAGE AREA OF THE CLEARWIRE NETWORK, WHICH IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SERVICE MAY BE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE FOR SCHEDULED OR UNSCHEDULED MAINTENANCE, EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS OR UPGRADES, AND FOR OTHER REASONS WITHIN AND WITHOUT THE DIRECT CONTROL OF CLEARWIRE. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPLEMENTING SUFFICIENT PROCEDURES TO SATISFY YOUR PARTICULAR REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ACCURACY OF DATA INPUT AND OUTPUT, AND FOR MAINTAINING A MEANS EXTERNAL TO THE SERVICE FOR THE RECONSTRUCTION OF ANY LOST DATA OR FILES. ALTHOUGH SECURITY MEASURES ARE EMPLOYED, CLEARWIRE CANNOT GUARANTEE THE SECURITY OF DATA TRANSMISSION OR STORAGE, OR THAT VIRUSES, WORMS, TROJAN HORSES, OR OTHER CODE THAT MANIFESTS CONTAMINATING OR DESTRUCTIVE PROPERTIES WILL BE DETECTED OR REMEDIATED BY THE SERVICE. (B) NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS AGREEMENT, NEITHER CLEARWIRE NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR SUPPLIERS WILL BE LIABLE OR OBLIGATED UNDER ANY SECTION OF THIS AGREEMENT OR UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY (I) FOR ANY AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF THE AGGREGATE OF THE FEES PAID TO IT HEREUNDER DURING THE THREE MONTH PERIOD IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING THE OCCURRENCE GIVING RISE TO LIABILITY, (II) FOR ANY COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS, TECHNOLOGY, SERVICES, PRODUCTS, OR RIGHTS, (III) FOR ANY LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA OR DELAYED OR INTERRUPTED USE OF THE SERVICE OR ACCESS TO THE INTERNET, (IV) FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR LOST PROFITS, OR (V) FOR ANY LACK OR BREACHES OF SECURITY OF THE SERVICE OR IN THE STORAGE OF YOUR DATA OR ANY END USER’S DATA. THESE LIMITATIONS APPLY WHETHER THE CLAIM IS BASED ON BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, NEGLIGENCE, PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR ANY OTHER BASIS, AND APPLY WHETHER OR NOT CLEARWIRE WAS INFORMED OF THE LIKELIHOOD OF ANY PARTICULAR TYPE OF DAMAGES. IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THE SERVICE OR IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER DISPUTE WITH CLEARWIRE, OR CLAIM AGAINST CLEARWIRE, THEN YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THE SERVICES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Yeah I think the technology was licensed by some Irish guy for Clearwire Ireland from America. Then, the American company bought him out.

Have to agree, it wouldn't make me buy their broadband.. it is quite patronising. As if America is a better country than ours. Sure their product is more expensive and slower than even bloody Eircom dsl, and that is really saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I want to find the voice actor and happy slap him shouting "Its the skanger way"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

TBTF someone else found this ad irritating and counter-productive. I thought I was getting too cranky with all things Bush-brained.......

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'd buy broadband if it was the Chinese or Japanese way, but America is synonymous with poor quality production.

I guess they were going for a McDonalds thing, but imo they failed miserably by not recognizing America's less-than-fantastic production quality of electronic products.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or German, Or Finnish or Korean, or Indian (as in Asia).

My least favorite Asian PC Mobo maker is Foxconn. Who make iPod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah that ad pissed me off too. I couldn't believe it when I first heard it. Just thought, WTF is that about, why would I buy it because its American.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Heard the tail end of the ad this morning, Looks like its now txt "Service" to xyz .
    /me waves at the clearwire chaps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement