Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom "Customer Service"

Options
  • 05-12-2006 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

After nearly three months of problems with the Homestarter Plus package from eircom and countles calls to their support helpdesk no explanation or solution is forthcoming.

During the working day the connection is generally ok at 2048/256 however after 5pm the modem mostly cannot sync at all and when it does it can be from anything from 576/256 to 1664/256 never 2048/256.

Having gone thorugh the "press the rest button", "connect the purpule cable direct to the socket" instructions over and over they finally sent some out.

The field tech arrived and said when they test (during working hours of course) everything looks fine. I was advised (paraphrasing) "too far from the exchange, probably" and "you should ditch it and go for one of the wireless providers",. This from an eircom employee!

The guy then asked if I new how to switch on the wireless functionality of the eircom netopia router because "two houses I have with problems up the road have disabled it"

What hope do I ever have of ever having a reliable service if eircom themselves are totally clueless?
    Is this a common problem for eircom customers?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

would lots of your neighbours have DSL , if so look up " Crosstalk " The laws of physics are crowding in on you but if you live in a big city some relief may be at hand in the next 3 years from more fibre rollouts .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

KK Dub wrote:
    After nearly three months of problems with the Homestarter Plus package from eircom and countles calls to their support helpdesk no explanation or solution is forthcoming.

During the working day the connection is generally ok at 2048/256 however after 5pm the modem mostly cannot sync at all and when it does it can be from anything from 576/256 to 1664/256 never 2048/256.

Having gone thorugh the "press the rest button", "connect the purpule cable direct to the socket" instructions over and over they finally sent some out.

The field tech arrived and said when they test (during working hours of course) everything looks fine. I was advised (paraphrasing) "too far from the exchange, probably" and "you should ditch it and go for one of the wireless providers",. This from an eircom employee!

The guy then asked if I new how to switch on the wireless functionality of the eircom netopia router because "two houses I have with problems up the road have disabled it"

What hope do I ever have of ever having a reliable service if eircom themselves are totally clueless?
    Is this a common problem for eircom customers?

Have you checked to see if your line stats deteriorate significantly in line with our speed reductions?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have a similar issue for 9 weeks now,sick and tired ringing eircom but they refuse to address the issue.
    Pings and speeds on my 3 meg line are excellent during the day but terrible at peak times.
    I dont lose connection but pings reach 300-400.
    Its the same for all 3 computers in the house and for people in our town.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

Dcully wrote:
    I have a similar issue for 9 weeks now,sick and tired ringing eircom but they refuse to address the issue.
    Pings and speeds on my 3 meg line are excellent during the day but terrible at peak times.
    I dont lose connection but pings reach 300-400.
    Its the same for all 3 computers in the house and for people in our town.

Dcully m8, I feel your pain........ had the same issue with them for nearly 6mths........hours on the phone to convince support staff that it was a contentation issue and not my pc,eventually got it escalated and had a supervisor put me through for credit on the account(btw still no fix for the problem just an admission that Edenderry was oversold) only to be told by billing when I had the cheek to ring and ask where my credit was,that I wasn`t entitled to credit because I was still able to browse,the whole gaming and high pings thing was lost on her........anywho in the end they fixed my problem by disconnecting me!!
    And because we had earlier switched provider for calls,we were told to ring talk talk as there was nothing Eircom could do because we were no longer a customer(account was still in credit btw)
    To finish ,switched to Digiweb and low and behold no more contention!!

Digiweb is available in my area.
    Is this not wireless to your home which is not good for latency and gaming?
    Im so sick of eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

naw it`s a dsl product,I assume Digiweb have there own equiptment in the local eircom exchange,it`s the original eircom line that it comes in on!!
    afaik they do a wireless product aswell.

Any hassle switching over to digiweb from ****com m8?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Dcully wrote:
    Digiweb is available in my area.
    Is this not wireless to your home which is not good for latency and gaming?
    Im so sick of eircom.
    The fact it's wireless won't affect pings. When IBB works well, the pings are as good, if not better than DSL pings. Digiweb Metro pings are usually pretty good. Metro may not be available to you though so you might have to get the more expensive FWA.

FWA pings are not so brilliant, but still good; I get about 50 ms in pings to boards.ie for example. Digiweb peer in INEX.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RD/ID

First off there are many better service providers than Eircom - if there is one in your area, change. Unfortunately I don't have a choice and had been having a similar problem to the one mentioned in the OP. The ping was o.k. but my connection would vary between 512K and 3M. My eircom supplied netopia finally died and I replaced it with a Linksys. Now I constantly connects at 3M. Don't know if that will help but good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Another victim of Eircom's clueless tech/cust-support. I even went for the Eircom BB package over the cheaper BT package because I had heard BT's cust support was terrible, seems like they are all the same. For the first few weeks my BB was fine, not reaching the full 1MB speed but acceptable. However the past month the speeds have dropped to 576(kbps). I have spent the last month ringing the different depts in Eircom, no result. For a while I felt like an Eircom employee. Why they can't have someone deal with a problem as a whole is very annoying. When Tech support have finished their bit they tell you to ring Sales who tell you to ring faults who tell you to ring tech support and around and around it goes. I should only have to make one call and an Eircom employee should sort out the rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement