Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHS to AVI, files too BIG

• 05-12-2006 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got one of them ALDI DVD making sets last Sunday for converting VHS files to .avi or mpeg etc. Took a while to get it going and get the lips sync ok, I had to downsize the image resolution a bit, but I dont mind that.

Anyway, earlier I converted a 3 hour documentary from VHS tape to an .AVI file, and discovered it was 21.8GB's!! I checked out a good quality movie of approx 3 hours that I had saved on my computer and it was only 1.7GB's. So how do I go about making the files I am converting smaller??

Thanks for any help ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i have Cyberlink Producer and Director software for my camcorder(mpeg2 format) which converts movie files into other formats and decreases the quality to make it a certain size. I am sure that if a .avi is converted to mpeg that the size will decrease.
    so it looks like you now need video editing software and DVD burning software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thanks for the advice Kooman, I had already lowered the screen resolution so as to get the lip sync ok, but still it was 21.8GB's, if I lower the resolution anymore it wont be worth watching as the quality would be brutal. How come I have other movies ranging from 2-3 hours, great quality, avi format but are only a gig or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i don't have enough knowledge on the area but AFAIK .avi isn't compressed while mpeg is. you'll need to get it compressed to mpeg. my camcorder (JVC Everio 20GB HDD) has mpeg files and at that quality 60mins will fit onto a 4.7GB DVD. the 20GB internal drive will hold 4.5 hours of mpeg2 movie. maybe someone else might know on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

are you purely encoding the files to watch on your pc or burn to dvd to watch later? if for dvd, encode the vhs to mpeg2. The problem with the avi could be that you are using a codec that is not compressing the file enough. You should try differenct codecs.. presumable your encoder has many different codecs for avi.. using a codec like divx you should be able to get an hour down to a few hundred meg with a decent resolution...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

download gspot here and tell me what codec it is using.

.avi does not mean it is uncompressed, although that is commonly thought.

What res did you end up capturing in?

For best results, you will normally capture from the VHS source in a lossless or near lossless codec. Then you will process it with free software called virtualdub.

What you do in virtualdub depends on the destination of the file. You may or may not deinterlace it. You can also remove the ugly blurred borders that may appear on the edge of the video as a result of the tape. After all this, you then select your destination codec and compression.

If you have a link to the ALDI DVD equipment you are using that would be great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

As SC said, AVI is compressed depending on what codec is used, you can have Uncompressed AVI's, but these are huge huge files sizes. You might find that the convertor is using an obscure codec, hence the file size is bigger then you'd expect. Saying that, a 3 hour video should be about 1-1.3 gigs.

Try using a programme called Auto Gordian Knot to convert the files to DIVX, it takes ages to compress them, but you get the best results. Quality to file size wise.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ok, I've been trying it again, I'm capturing the files as .avi, screen resolution is 320x240, frame rate 25. The 'MPEG4 codec' is set as 'DivX'.

It says in the instruction mamual that for saving files to your computer its best to save them as MPEG4 files, but when I select MPEG4 I get a message saying that there is no MPEG4 capture filter interface. MPEG 1 and 2 will work, but once the files are played back they are skipping, hopping, green squares keep appearing and so is unwatchable. The best quality I can get is by saving as .avi.

I downloaded a .avi to mpeg converter, ran it on one of my large movie files, took a couple of hours, it downsized the file alright, significantly, however the sync was WAY out :(

SouperComputer, I couldnt find any links, here are some pics of the packaging with some of the details on it, perhaps thats of some use?

104_4353.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

And you just didn't bother trying my method......

What spec is your pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

IMO you shouldnt capture direct to DIVX, especially if you want things in sync. As Lump said you can use Gordion to convert the bigger files to divx. MPEG2 at a higher bitrate is a better way to start.

Are there updated drivers available for the hardware?

Also, with VHS you should be capturing higher than 320x420. 720x576 is a good sweet spot, but only if the capture card properly supports this resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

silly questions out of the way first.

what type of hardware encoding does the aldi box do?
    forget software for the moment and stick with what its meant to do.
    it should say on the box what it is

are you connecting through usb,usb2 or firewire.
    firewire is the best, usb 2 generally as good, and usb will be absolutely useless.

if all that still doesnt work, try installing an mpeg 4 codec like divx or xvid - use google to find one.
    the problem your haiving with the huge files is that there is no mpeg 4 codec installed - the hardware is trying to use one, but i presume didnt install its own one.
    the sync issues after conversion are more than likely caused by a vbr mp3 codec being used.
    this will always cause sync issues unless uncompressed first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 neildonoghue

try the flash flv format this may work well and it will load quickly if you are streaming for a webserver :cool:

Advertisement