Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pubs in the Wicklow Mountains

• 05-12-2006 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Which pubs in the Wicklow Mountains (area: Laragh, Annamoe, Roundwood, Rathdrum, etc.) would you recommend? It would be great if the pub had good pub food and a roaring fire... Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Roundwood Inn in Roundwood (!) on the right hand side as you enter the village has just won an award. It's run by a German and I believe the chef is German too. Lots of game and that kind of thing this kind of year. Nice and cosy, and a big fire. Avoid the Coach House on the other side of the road.

There's nothing in Annamoe apart from Rose's Tea Rooms, but that's another story :)

In Laragh there's Lynham's on the corner as you come into the village .. I've never eaten there personally, but it looks OK. Not really the country pub atmospehere though.

If you want a real 'in the mddle of nowhere' experience try the Glenmalure Lodge. Go into Laragh, and turn left at Lynhams. Carry on along this road, over the bridge and take the right turn signposted Military Road. Follow this road up to the top of the hill and back over the other side down to the Drumgoff crossroads. The Glenmalure Lodge is there to the left of the crossroads. Live, usually traditional, music on Sat and Sun nights, although it must be said, the quality is variable. Food, in my experience, is good, and there's no shortage of atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭fits

Selection is dire I'm afraid. The only half decent pub around imo is The Roundwood Inn, and I dont think its good for food.
    The best of a bad lot for food is the Wicklow Heather, which is more of a restaurant.
    Havent been in the pub in Glenmalure, but have heard good things about it.

No value to be had around those parts, wish someone would open something a bit more appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Lynhams in Laragh is pretty good, nice big fire and cheap enough food, went there when i was doing an 80km walk/climb around that area. Lots of foreigners there too, they all come up from the Hostel in Glendalough as the Glendalough Hotel which is nearer is pretty dire IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 calcifer

That sounds good, thanks.

Is there anything in Wicklow town, Ashford or Rathnew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Another vote for the Roundwood Inn. The Goulash soup is a nice, hot, meaty lunch snack, after a decent hike (topped up with some brown bread and a pint of the black stuff).

More substantial food is available, but during the day seats are limited.. Ate in the Hotel in Ashford once (The arms or something?)... Nothing special.. Don't have anywhere to recommend in Rathdrum either.. There used to be a cafe, where you could get a bit of brekkie, but last time I was there, it wasn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement