Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best practice to seal windows in new build

Options
  • 06-12-2006 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice , I have used expanding foam to fill the large gaps. I intend to use silicone to seal exterior and I presume rightly or wrongly that the interior plastering will seal the inside ?? Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

What did you do after secman? Has anyone any advice! I got my windows installed a couple of weeks ago and they didnt put in any foam so I rang the rep and told him and he said they dont use the foam as it can warp the windows! Is he just bluffing to avoid calling back to the site! (Havent paid the last installment yet btw)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

It dosent say much for the windows if expanding foam can warp them.

your windows should be filled with expanding foam and siliconed on the outher edge. the plasterboard will finish against the window on the inside but the expanding foam will be inside it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

We used expanding foam to fill large gaps and then interior plaster sealed the inside. On the outside again the plaster sealed it except on the stone effect gable, here we used silicone. No problems so far ! And this summer its been well tested with the driving rain !!

Secman

Advertisement