Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling Asleep at the Wheel

Options
  • 06-12-2006 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

A friend of mine (who doesn't have internet access) has asked me to put up a post about a recurring dream.

She keeps dreaming that she is driving at night and is fighting falling asleep at the wheel. And when she finally does nod off she wakes with a fright. She said it happened several times last night which I can imagine leads to a disruptive sleep.

Does anyone have any insight as to what this could mean? Would it be representative of stress?
    Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated (this is the first time I've posted on this forum).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Well, I have actually fallen asleep at the wheel, but dreamed while asleep that my eyes were still open and I was still seeing the road.

Now that can be pretty scarey, especially when you suddenly awake to the sounds of your tyres leaving the road!

Has this ever happened in real life to your friend? If so, the dream(s) they are having may have been a result of the real experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrsmagoo

No, I don't think she's ever had the Nightmare of actually falling asleep at the wheel but I suppose it is a fear.
    So it's not representative of an actual experience.

But I'd say it would lead to a pretty crappy sleep if you're on edge like that while sleeping. I just thought someone might have looked into it previously and know what it meant or even how to stop it...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

I have the same dream, its pretty freeky

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Well, I have actually fallen asleep at the wheel, but dreamed while asleep that my eyes were still open and I was still seeing the road.

Now that can be pretty scarey, especially when you suddenly awake to the sounds of your tyres leaving the road!
    I have been there a few times. Not a pleasant experience. Nearly hit the back of a truck one morning on the M7 south. Was doing about 80pmh :eek:
    Could have ended up messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 viggi-tea

Hmmm, maybe its a dream about control. Driving a car is a bit like life "taking you for a ride" (if you excuse the dire pun!) and maybe she's scared of losing control of it? Or maybe she needs a holiday :D !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

For me that dream woudl mean the person is not paying enough heed to thier life and thier lifes direction and where their choices are taking them.

They are starting to let life happen to them and falling assleep at the wheel rahter then being awake, alert and aware in thier life.

IF you are falling asleep at the wheel of your life you miss turn offs and signs and many things that you are ment to see and do.

I would agree wiht the holiday or a break, pull the car over have a nap .
    Take a break and then go back and look with less tired eyes at how you life is going and make the changes you want to in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

This often happens to me, about 4 to 5 times a week for about 20 minutes usually on my way home from a days work, just driving, eyes wide open and yet im asleep. I keep hitting my hand off the dashboard to try and stay awake. When that fails, i start to shake my legs and eventually i start to regain my alertness. I never once had a crash and this has gone on for the last 4 or 5 years.

Advertisement