Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident claim question

Options
  • 06-12-2006 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I had a tip with another car the other night. We are both in the wrong to varying degrees. The other guy has already contacted my insurance to claim and I was sent out a form to state my case.

A few questions as I new in this position.

1. The other guy wants naturally to get the full amount out of my insurance. Does by giving my side cause my insurance to fight him or to decrease his claim against me. How do I get my insurance to fight him?

2. How do I counter claim against him? By telling my insurance company or by contacting his insurance. As my car is old (91) would there be any point?

Thanks
    Mr Burns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Unfortunately you have little or no say in this. By paying your insurance co. to indemnify you against any claims you have given them the right to decide who to pay and who to fight. The downside is they can decide to pay out even if, as you say, both sides were at fault. The upside is if you hit someone who then requires many years of hospital care and millions of € of surgery, they pay millions and you pay your annual premium.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Wrt counter claiming I plead ignorance and suggest you talk to your insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah talk to your insurers and get NAMES of who you speak with so you can establish some form of continuity. Also dont send that form back until you are sure you insurance co. has sent out the same to the other chap.

Nothing can happen until these forms are recieved so you dont want "his" side getting started first !

Advertisement