Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii Pre-order Purchase Warning

Options
  • 06-12-2006 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I work for GAME and just got notification that GAME will not get enough stock to fulfil preorders for the Nintendo Wii. As a result the district manager sent an email around preventing staff (even though they may have been among the first to pre-order) from acquiring their consoles.

GAME in Blanchardstown are getting 72 delivered to their store and had roughly that number of pre-orders before taking a 2nd batch which they are unable to fulfil. Im not too sure who this will impact exactly, but as a disgrunteled member of staff i'm venting my anger not at Nintendo but at GAME who took additional pre-orders they knew they may not have been able to fulfill (Blame the regional and commercial managers not the managers of each store). I advise all people who preordered to ring whatever store they obtained their pre-order.

I will check back on this thread to answer questions as soon as i know more.

Regards,

angry GAME employee

Edit: If it's in the wrong thread please move it, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

good on ya, i think people will be a Wii bit mad at game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Bowser wrote:
    I work for GAME and just got notification that GAME will not get enough stock to fulfil preorders for the Nintendo Wii. As a result the district manager sent an email around preventing staff (even though they may have been among the first to pre-order) from acquiring their consoles.

GAME in Blanchardstown are getting 72 delivered to their store and had roughly that number of pre-orders before taking a 2nd batch which they are unable to fulfil. Im not too sure who this will impact exactly, but as a disgrunteled member of staff i'm venting my anger not at Nintendo but at GAME who took additional pre-orders they knew they may not have been able to fulfill (Blame the regional and commercial managers not the managers of each store). I advise all people who preordered to ring whatever store they obtained their pre-order.

I will check back on this thread to answer questions as soon as i know more.

Regards,

angry GAME employee

get the fcuk out!!! no way! i havnt been in work since sunday. this is crap!!! I hope they lie. PM and fill me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Score one for the customer (my sympathies for the GAME staff though)! Now if only I'd gotten off my ass and pre-ordered one. Curses upon you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner. This sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Do you put your name on a pre-order, and do they check it?
    Otherwise, couldn't you get a friend to come in with your pre-order receipt to buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Spike wrote:
    Score one for the customer (my sympathies for the GAME staff though)! Now if only I'd gotten off my ass and pre-ordered one. Curses upon you all!

not really score one for anyone. the staff who pre ordered are customers too. and they are entitled to a machine if they pre-ordered it especially as most staff were early pre orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

This is something we hear Christmas after Christmas after Christmas; different countries not getting enough stock of a most wanted item.

I heard there was a shortage of consoles in Europe.

I think the staff in GAME are entitled to their console and if I were a staff member, I would be demanding a console.

This is going to piss the staff off and when the customer comes into buy his/her wii device, the staff member is going to be pissed off as that could have been the staff member's console

Hat goes off to the OP though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

evad_lhorg wrote:
    not really score one for anyone. the staff who pre ordered are customers too. and they are entitled to a machine if they pre-ordered it especially as most staff were early pre orders.

Well yeah, that's fair enough. I just meant it looks pretty good on Game's behalf when they put their customers (that don't work for them) above their staff.
    Course it's still a ****ty thing to do to the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

That does not bother me much TBH
    I have a pre-order and i was honnestly just going to sell my wii at cost prise to some mother or father who needed it for the whole santa buzz.

Im not planning on buying my new TV and till the start of Jan when i have a bit more cash so ill just pick up a wii whenever they are back in stock no rush as far as i can see. X-mass is a time for excessive drinking and even if i did want to play a game star trek legacy is out in 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

I gotta say that's a really ****ty thing to do. That's all there is to say about that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Spike wrote:
    Well yeah, that's fair enough. I just meant it looks pretty good on Game's behalf when they put their customers (that don't work for them) above their staff.
    Course it's still a ****ty thing to do to the staff.

Or it looks pretty bad on Game's behalf when they take pre-orders on machines they couldn't guarantee.
    I understand the company's logic in this one (as it's bad show if all the staff get machines when the non-work customers are left out) but all it really does is piss off staff who, after all, are probably some of the best customers the company has (I know that from experience game staff tend to buy a lot of stuff... heck, before I started working in Game I didn't even have a modern console, by the time I'd finished my stint in the company I had a DS, Xbox, PS2, a new PC and a GC, plus plenty of games to go with them - put simply you spend all day looking at cool games coming in, so you just end up buying them... I'd bet staff in HMV find they spend loads more on CDs and DVDs too).

Also, it's not like re-routing supply from staff to customers will make half a difference; Game stores have generally small staff levels and not all staff would have PO'd, so if the company took as many extra PO's on as I imagine they did, they're still going to have plenty of irate customers who will turn up tomorrow night/friday morning to be told "oops... sorry"

Basically, the company should have been more cautious about their Pre-orders and not assumed that just because the Wii was expected to have plenty more stock than the 360 launch that supply would naturally meet demand.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    most staff were early pre orders.
    Me included. Preordered in the first week that preorders were open.
    flogen wrote:
    I know that from experience game staff tend to buy a lot of stuff...
    QFT, I've a GC, Xbox, PS2, GBA SP, DS and DS lite all bought since I started working there. New games roughly every 2-3 weeks too. The staff are some of Game's best customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Game employ people with game knowledge (supposedly anyway :p), which has been acquired by playing games.......hence their staff are going to be good customers. Now they're ripping their staff off.........there's going to be a serious amount of :mad: & :( behind the counters of Game. Man I'd be seriously pissed is I was working for them!!!!!!!!

Man I'd be seriously pissed is I was working for them!!!!!!!!
    Welcome to my world. Insert various curse words here - I'm so angry right now I can't concentrate on studying for my exams which start next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Why deny Game staff, though? Their money is as good as anyone elses, and what difference is 4 or 5 consoles (per store) going to make (considering that they don't have enough to fill their pre-orders in the first place).

Pissing off 75% (probably) of your staff is not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Welcome to my world. Insert various curse words here - I'm so angry right now I can't concentrate on studying for my exams which start next week.

Wouldn't it be better for you not to have it until after your exams?

Her exams will be finished in the next week or two (I assume), and she'll still be wii-less for christmas.

Finished on the 20th. And it would be nice to have some Zelda to break up the monotony of studying. Looks like I'm going to end up buying it on the Cube.
    GG, Game.

Do Game usually sh!t on their staff like this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Are game stores here actually going to get in Zelda on the Gamecube? The vast majority of them seem to have dropped the Cube already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

^Dawson St. will.

I'm so pissed off! Heard about this last night and I didn't believe it. I don't see how McFeely can rob us of buying it? I mean we placed pre-orders as customers not staff, bloody annoying. We wont get a Wii now til after Christmas :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I remember when the slimline ps2 launched (again, in short supply), staff were told they couldn't get their discounts on the HW (which is 10% for consoles)... that's probably the best solution here as it would ensure that staff were being treated just the same as customers and given no special treatment...

I just think it's bad management to piss your staff off when they're the ones that are going to be doing midnight launches (and dealing with irate the customers you failed to take care of).
    If they simply picked the first x amount of preorders, going from the first one made to the last, then I'm sure the staff would feel less hard-done by if they didn't make the cut.

If it's a matter of discount, I don't care. I'll gladly buy it at retail price.

Slurms wrote:
    I'm so pissed off! Heard about this last night and I didn't believe it. I don't see how McFeely can rob us of buying it? I mean we placed pre-orders as customers not staff, bloody annoying. We wont get a Wii now til after Christmas :(

I'm just getting angrier and angrier as the day goes on. At this time of year, we're working our asses off for this company, and it goes and screws us over like this. Well forgive me if I don't have a broad beaming smile for people at 8am on Friday.

I'm just getting angrier and angrier as the day goes on. At this time of year, we're working our asses off for this company, and it goes and screws us over like this. Well forgive me if I don't have a broad beaming smile for people at 8am on Friday.
    Im not in til 5 on friday but I'm gonna moan to every person I serve at the till.....

that is unless I get one :p

Kirby: Why don't you and your colleagues have a "blonde" day and buy them anyway? Whats the worst they can do? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Are game stores here actually going to get in Zelda on the Gamecube? The vast majority of them seem to have dropped the Cube already.

Smyths Bray are the only ones I've got a yes out of. The idiots behind the counter at Gamestop Bray and HMV Dawson Street have claimed it doesn't exist and looked at me weirdly. I now refuse on moral principles to buy it in either shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Bowser

GAME have changed their mind or at least the email they did send around was poorly worded. Staff who just decide now to get a wii will not be allowed. Staff that had pre-ordered months ago (like me) will get one now :)

Basically GAME blanchartdstown will get in 72 Wiis so the first 72 people who pre-ordered will get one.

I feel so much better now!

EDIT: Oh and GC Zelda is out a week later than on wii as far as i know

Bowser wrote:
    GAME have changed their mind or at least the email they did send around was poorly worded. Staff who just decide now to get a wii will not be allowed. Staff that had pre-ordered months ago (like me) will get one now :)

Bowser my man, that's good to hear, I was really pissed off after hearing that earlier.

• Advertisement

Bowser wrote:
    GAME have changed their mind or at least the email they did send around was poorly worded. Staff that had pre-ordered months ago (like me) will get one now
    Elune be praised! :D
    MAJOR crisis averted..

Advertisement