Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Hockey Stick not installed in cavity - Help!

Options
  • 06-12-2006 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi

My Cavity wall has been built (standard 4' solids with 100mm cavity) and the recess for the meter box has been left correctly but the hockey stick was not put in.
    I've only discovered it should have run through the cavity when I seen the ESB's installation guide.

So what do I do?
    What are my options now for installing the hockey stick?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That is a shambles, would your builder not have responsibility for this or it this a self build?
    The cavity is still there, so you will have to cut out a lump of the block on the foundation and manover the stick into it and up the cavity.

ESB Will not supply otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Yop is right you will have to knock out a block at the bottom, take out the meter box and try and force the hockey stick up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could always fill in the hole and fit the box externally, and run the hockey stick up the wall and cover it with some black 2" pipe.
    I did this on my wall to reduce cold bridging and it is fine , you can use the cream coloured box that is standard or I sourced a clear fronted box that looks nicer and doesn't need to be opened to be read.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thats a good idea, CJ, I am suprised ESB are not forcing new builds to put them in the cavity though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Thanks for the advice lads.
    CJ, how far does your meter box stick out from the wall?
    Sounds like it's sticking out a mile, does it not look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

You can get a surface mounted agri box which has a clear lid and run the duct up and in a then cover it cover with semi circl of galvanised and then screw it to the wall - but an agri box which is ESB aprroved is going to stick out of the wall and look very noticeable.

The Agri box sticks out about 200mm and is noticeable, I don't notice it anymore but maybe it may not be to your taste.
    I just didn't want to fit a box that took away insulation so thats the reason I fitted it.
    TBH the box is white the lid is clear and the hockey stick is covered with black pipe so the whole thing is not really that much of an eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

The Agri box sounds like a good plan.
    Are these available from general builders suppliers?

I've 60mm insulation in the cavity leaving only the minimum 40mm gap in the cavity. Don't fancy ramming a 55mm hockey stick up a 40mm gap from a bad angle.

Thanks all for the help.

Probably easiest to get one from an electrical wholesaler.
    One other thing, there is a metal plate inside that you are supposed to mount the meters on. My spark reckoned that it was much better to make one out of 1/4" ply and fit that instead.
    Takes about 3 minutes with a jigsaw and the ESB prefer it.

Advertisement