Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

news talk breakfast show - wednesday

• 06-12-2006 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

After being a loyal Newstalk listener in the mornings I've finaly switched back to Morning Ireland... I think Claire Byrnes interview with a newspaper editor & someone took the biscuit.
    The interview was winding down and it seemed like she would sound off and thank the interviewees but she threw a final question which seemed quite sarcastic in its tone. The newpaper editor seemed to take offence by it.
    The next 2 mins was Ms Byrne agressively covering her tracks.

Is it so hard to interview someone without trying to antagonise them?
    Ger Doyle is ok but the 2 people he's had with him in the last months have been terrible.
    Didnt claire realise that reading an autocue and trying to sit taller than alan cantwell for years doesnt provide the best skill set for real broadcasting? :mad:

Anyone else making the switch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I heard that interview and I think the question she asked was appropriate and relevant. OK some other presenters would rather keep the tone of a show light and happy but at least since she started working for NewsTalk she's ruffled a few freathers and that's the sign that she's doing a good job. Anybody hear the interview last week where she was quizzing a MEP over rendition flights. She had him in a knot and he then claimed that he had co-operation from Amnesty International just to get her off his back on a line of questioning, a statement which he later retracted. Basically all he did was tell a huge lie so as he wouldn't have to admit the truth and then retract the statement later.........handy ejector seat for a politician wouldn't you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

i've made the switch after listening to newstalk since the very start... i incresingly found listening to most of newstalk was like reading the sun.

gilroy is a complete muppet, and an amateur. though he has "matured" a lot over the last year and in particular since he's been doing that show on a regular basis. when he was on off the ball, he was a joke. that show seems to be aimed at 12 year olds.

the big problem with newstalk is lack of experienced, quality presenters. hook is good, but can get a bit tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Yeah Hook is ok! Kinda embarressed that I enjoy Moncrieff as well. Used to think he was a bit of a muppet but at the time slot he's in he's waaaayyyyy better than the competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Exactly!!!while Newstalk may be reasonable at times ,it does not lend itself to sustained listening,sort of dip in ,dip out, kinda stuff. Most of the presenters,with few exceptions, speak in staccato tones, and the wider audience has revealed them for what they are, for the most part-one trick ponies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I did not hear the interview the OP references, but I did hear the one about rendition flights that hamsterboy mentioned. In fairness, I thought Claire did a good job there - she really had the guy on the rails, and he came across as a muppet altogether.

Gilroy can be good, but you can almost feel the comfort factor when he moves on to sport.

At the moment the person I can't stand is 'Newstalks business editor, Tom Lyons'. He seems to be constantly presented as some kind of superstar, a real rarity of a celebrity. He is always introduces as 'Newstalks business edior, Tom Lyons', when his piece is done, he always gets a 'that was Tom Lyons, Newstalks business editor', and it seems that whatever he says before 8am features as a headline on the 8am and 9am news.

I wouldn't mind only he does little more than present items - basic analysis only, and read like a robot. I am genuinely convinced that some of the toys on the late late toy show have more real sounding voices than Lyons.

I have also found him to be a little sensational. About two weeks ago, the show opened witha promise of an exclusive from 'Newstalks business editor, Tom Lyons' later in the show. The 'big story' was in fact a propoaganda piece by Greencore about an 'idea' for a Carlow site. Not even at planning stage, Tom Lyons let Greencore enthuse about a notional idea that has not yet even been approved by Carlow / Laois County councils.

No conincidence that Greencore was close to its AGM, at which it has announced it has made a strategic decision to go into property development. Greencore deflty deflects from the bad news story of shutting a plant, and talk up the value of your land bank. Good work Tom, a real national exclusive there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

i've made the switch after listening to newstalk since the very start... i incresingly found listening to most of newstalk was like reading the sun.

gilroy is a complete muppet, and an amateur. though he has "matured" a lot over the last year and in particular since he's been doing that show on a regular basis. when he was on off the ball, he was a joke. that show seems to be aimed at 12 year olds.

the big problem with newstalk is lack of experienced, quality presenters. hook is good, but can get a bit tiresome.

Well this has to be the worst pole of crap I have read in a long time. For years people have had to endure the same rubbish RTE throw out every day on Radio and someone comes along with a different angle on things and you compare them to "The Sun":eek: If you want to know whats tiring is try Tubridy in the morning. After the weekend that was in it, Newstalk as expected were on hand to talk to local people affected by the weekends events with the weather. Unlike RTE they are not afraid to throw away the script from time to time. What was tubridy talking about.... The Book Club or some ****e like that..."what wos youre boke of da yer Giles?" RTE 1 is like a cheap version of BBC Radio 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I agree with Skidpatches.... Newstalk for the most part consists of immature ,badly spoken,poor grammar presenters,who just wear you out after a while with their constant abuse of the language and general populist banality.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

bbability wrote:
    For years people have had to endure the same rubbish RTE throw out
    i don't think anyone has had to endure RTE unless their tuning dial was stuck. there has been independent and local radio available in ireland for about 20 years.

and don't be slagging off books - if you read one or two it might improve your spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ger Gilroy I do not like. As said above he's muppet, its only a small thing but when the sports guy was on at about 7.10 he made a slight error and Gilroy chipped in for no good reason or need 'its Friday!'. Like I say small beer but he's like the friend/acquaintance you can't wait to see the back of at times.

Maybe I just don't like chirpy at 7 am. :(

Mike.

Only time will tell whether Newstalk is good or bad. The only thing that matters in Radio is the JNLR. And so we shall wait and see.

And I wasn't slagging off bukes.. its just typical of RTE not having their finger on the pulse. Its not the first time this year Newstalk have beaten them to the crunch. Remember O Connell Street a few months back? They threw the complete script out the window. And what did RTE do in this moment of breaking news... played SAFE.... BORING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

What breaking news? OConnell St? explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Love Ulster riot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

riot when the orangemen tried to hold their peace march.

Oh I see so what did newstalk do that was so radical compared to RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mickd wrote:
    Oh I see so what did newstalk do that was so radical compared to RTE?

they actually reported it live as oppossed to rte who didn't stop their scheduled programmes and made no mention of the fact that cars were being set on fire and people being assulted in the middle of the capital on a busy saturday afternoon.

I gather that newstalk were not nationwide at the time so being a Dublin news station it would be quite easy for them to interupt their schedule to report this event. Whereas RTE are the national broadcaster and there was comperhensive coverage of it on the tv news that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

With resources of scale, RTÉ didn't see fit to interrupt their broadcasts for live reporting. Newstalk had a schedule to break into too.

It doesn't matter if Newstalk was only a local station then. It was happening on the nation's main street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not to play the defence for RTÉ but sure wasn't their star reporter too busy getting the sh*te beat out of him on the north quays to relay any live reports?

Newstalk? Meh, overdosed on news TBQH...I can't listen for more than a few links before it gets to be like every other rolling news station....I much prefer the hourly reports and evening round up scenario...

mickd wrote:
    What breaking news? OConnell St? explain
    Unfortunately in this ever changing world its a disgrace that anyone with the resources that RTE have should have to sit and wait for the News at 6 or at 9 to hear what happened a couple of hours back.

Something I should have really clarified from the start here as an outsider looking in. It was never Newstalks intention to compete against RTE 1's listenership. In fact history shows us that RTE changed their line-up to compete against a new fresh approach to talk radio. RTE hit the panic button and changed things around yet again. Roll on next year. I wonder how nuch revenue they have lost with all the listeners they have lost this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

i incresingly found listening to most of newstalk was like reading the sun.

The Joe Duffy show must be the worst example of programming on RTE.

Talking History on Newstalk is quality radio.

So too is Splanc on Friday nights - great to see an Irish language programme on national radio (Apart from Rnag).

How much does RTE radio get from the licence fee?

Ger Gilroy and Claire Byrne provide an alternative to Morning Ireland.

An alternative that was long over due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Cork wrote:
    The Joe Duffy show must be the worst example of programming on RTE.
    Ever had the "pleasure" of listening to Brenda Power on her dial a whinge newstalk slot? Believe me for all his faults Joe Duffy is much better.
    Cork wrote:
    Talking History on Newstalk is quality radio.
    For a country as obsessed with our own history as we are it's a no brainer, still Newstalk were the first ones to schedule a programme like this.
    Cork wrote:
    Ger Gilroy and Claire Byrne provide an alternative to Morning Ireland. An alternative that was long over due.
    I wouldn't know haven't listened to Morning Ireland in about 10 years, apart from the very odd dip in when whatever else I listened to at the time was p*ssing me off.

But the best thing about Newstalk is the fact that when something big happens they will drop everything and report it live. the two notable examples being the 7/7 bombs in London and the Love Ulster [isn't that an oxymoron?] riots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ger Gilroy is *****, terrible, casual approach to what is supposed to be the flagship programme.

Mike.

(ps I just realised I already slagged him off)

Advertisement