Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wiper advice needed

Options
  • 06-12-2006 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So I recently bought a car and every time I use the wipers they make a horrible squeaking noise on the window.

I've checked and tey are not scraping the glass I think the blades are just too hard. How can I fix this? It's driving me mad :D

I've heard people say that I should use washing up liquid on them to soften the blade but any other advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Had similar problem and it was that the wipers were at the wrong angle ever so slightly. Did a bit of bending, a bit hit and miss, improved things but not fixed completely yet...

I drives me mental! But it's not so bad when really bucketing down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, lots of water + fastest wiper setting = reduced annoying noise :)

I'd better not go bending the wipers, I have a tendency to overdo these things...

I was hoping that with a username like "Sudz" you were going to recommend the washing-up liquid thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

oooooh! Is that an invitation?!!!!! ;)

Anyway, it's a bit of a 2 man/woman (!) job... one to wipe, one to bend! Actually it's mor of a slight adjustment than bending! Get a gentle type to help you out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I had this problem
    I bought new wipers!
    problem solved
    or for a quick fix while on the road pour coca cola onthe windscreen this aldo removes any greasy streaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

the problem is the angle of the wiper arms to the windscreen. the wipers should be at right-angles to the screen so bring the wipers halfway up the screen and turn off the ignition. with a pliers or vise-grips twist the wiper-arm gently near the wiper until the wiper is as close as you can get to 90 degrees to the glass. this makes the wiper flip over so it pulls across the screen instead of pushing. also use a good screen wash like clearlex or bardahl which you can get in most motor-factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Jaysus lads, to me it sounds like the wiper blades are shot - time for replacements.

Put the tools away before someone does some damage to a wiper linkage, with your bending this, adjusting that..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sudz...erm, not an invitation, no offence :D

Thanks for the advice folks, keep it coming. I'll be looking at the blades carefully tonight but to be honest they don't seem massively worn.

It could be the angle alright but I'll probably buy new blades and try those first before I wreck my wipers with my pliers :D At least if new blades don't sort it out I'll know what the problem is and maybe then I'll reach for the pliers :)

Advertisement