Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD player with USB that plays DivX

• 06-12-2006 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can find a decent enough one for a reasonable price. Pixmania do one for about €75 + shipping but I really don't want to order from them because I've had bad experiences with them in the past. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey there mate, I am looking for EXACTLY the same thing. Was going to go for this one (http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/424180/art/sigmatek/xs-700-pro-dvd-divx-usb-h.html?itag=6584) then decided to do a bit of looking as I thought the Pixmania delivery charge was a bit steep. Came across the Philips DVP5960 that does DivX, has USB support as well as upscaling for hi def TV's.

I rang Pete's and they are selling it for €99, can't find number for Philips shop on Dame street but I imagine it would be the same price or lower. The Sigmatek including delivery is €92 so its cheaper but it also includes a memory card reader which is a sweet addition.

I am seriously thinking about Pixmania but then read that you had problems with them in the past, can you let me know what they were? I ordered cameras off them before and had no problems.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The philips player DOES NOT support divx via the usb port. Only audio, and jpegs.

DONT buy it.

I was also gonna buy the upscaling hdmi player you linked from pixmania, Iv'e ordered before and never had any problems

Hey there mate, thanx a million for that! So, u reckon I should go with the Sigmatek model? Can you tell me if the USB interface is USB 1.0/1.1 or 2.0? I have heard prople talking about players with the 1.0/1.1 interface having stuttering playback problems with DivX files? Also, does the HDD need to be formatted with FAT32 or will it also work with NTFS?

Thanx again,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this review suggests that the Philip will play Divx via the USB port, though doesn't mention plugging a HDD in.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Philips_DVP5960_37/4505-6463_7-31871079.html

EDIT - the reviews on Amazon.com say that you can use a HDD provided it is FAT32 and has its own power supply (same as the Lidl players then).
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000G18DR0/ref=cm_rev_next/002-8658442-9588844?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=172282&s=electronics&customer-reviews.start=21

Anyone bought the Philips or the Sigmatek and can provide feedback?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

I bought the Sigmatek along with a hdmi cable, just received them both yesterday. I'm gonna try and return it, I'm not happy with it.

The player itself looks quite nice, black and slimline. The build quality of the dvd tray is crap, not hard plastic more like bendy rubber. I tested it with a lot of different of divx and xvid files from cdr's (I haven't tried anything from a usb drive). Most divx files played, though not all, only about 80%. Also quite a few films had the video/sound out of sync, which makes them unwatchable. I'm gonna check later today to see if these divx files play sound/video out of sync on my pc (maybe the problem was with the files themselves, I doubt it though). The file menu system is pretty crap to look at also. I only had about an hour with it last night to test it, gonna throw some more files at it tonight, but I doubt I will keep it. Think I'll go back to using my old xbox and xbmc, was hoping the Sigmatek would replace it while also looking a bit nicer under my tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

you're going to try returning it to pixmania? good luck getting your money back! Pixmania sent me the wrong product (DHL dropped it into a neighbour) so I sent it back. After about 2 weeks and about 2 hours on the phone at 45c per min I eventually got my money back, I've heard of people waiting 2 months.

I wouldn't recommend ANYONE buying from pixmania, you're screwed if anything goes wrong really. I've dealt with them the twice, the first time was great no problems, second time was REALLY annoying.

I haven't found any decent offers on a DVD player with DivX and a USB yet but will keep searchin!

Cheers for that lads. I am gonna try and get into the Philips shop at the weekend and sus out what the story is with the DVP 5960 playing back DivX files from a hard disk drive, USB pen drive etc. I'll also ask them if it is USB 1.0/1.1 or 2.0 and if the drive needs to be formatted to FAT32 or NTFS.

@aCA, would you mind reporting back anything else you find out that may be useful. Can it play back DivX files from the SD card? Did you connect a USB HDD or a pendrive? Did they play back movies without sputtering? What format were they using? Sorry for all the questions but I'm very curious as I was VERY near buying it earlier today.

Cheers,
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

well looking at that CNET review they had success with playing DivX files off a pen drive on the philips. They said it was the same as reading it off a disc.

Coola, gonna take a gawk at them now.

M

• Advertisement

Hey guys, this is a pretty definitive thread on the whole USB hard disk drive question I was asking http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=4584c55879518ce92e34207aad541c49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah I was reading that forum yesterday - to summarise:

Divx\Xvid off a HDD works fine provided - the drive is a primary partition formatted to FAT32 and with its own power supply. It may struggle with very high bit rate files as its only USB 1.1, and the player only displays 8 character filenames (this is typical of DVD-Divx players though). YMMV.

@loyatemu, cheers for that! Me is gonna but it this weekend and I'll let ye know how I get on. I have a Western Digital My Book 320GB that I am gonna hook up to it.

M

Just bought the DVP 5960. Will post my findings in a bit.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

madmoe wrote:
    Just bought the DVP 5960. Will post my findings in a bit.

M

How much you pay?

Advertisement