Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 DSL accounts on the one phone line??

Options
  • 06-12-2006 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

I’m using Netsource on a phoneline in the city centre. I have just discovered that the landlord has now also installed an eircom DSL account on the same line!? I have frequent disconnects when his phone rings. Is it possible to have to separate DSL accounts on the one phone line?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

disconnects are filter problems put filters on ALL sockets

no. only one per line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Yes I put filters on all devices including a PBX with no problems for 9 months this is still the case but now with disconnects every time the phone line rings.. There are 2 DSL modems on separate DSL accounts operating on the one phone line. Just rang Netsource..(now magnet?) the operator was clueless.

dodgy filter I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

personally i dont see how you can have 2 modems on the one line, 2 DSL streams from same provider going through same modem, yes, but since both magnet business and eircom use the same VPI settings, definitely a problem somewhere. try having only modem plugged in and see what the story is.

Also, whats the story then with line rental, who pays what :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

2 modems + 1 line = problems.

• Advertisement

personally i don't see how you can have 2 modems on the one line, 2 DSL streams from same provider going through same modem, yes, but since both magnet business and eircom use the same VPI settings, definitely a problem somewhere. try having only modem plugged in and see what the story is.

I will.
    You see the landlord has a DSL connection via his Eircom DSL modem and I have a connection (for the past 9 months) via my Netsource modem. The eircom account was set up 6 weeks ago. My connection drops frequently and definitely when his phone rings (which is filtered) He dosnt notice any disconnects on his side because he's using it for browsing now and again. I'm doing server admin via my connection so I'm in a bad way.

HOW could a second EIRCOM!! DSL account be set up a Netsource appointed line? I rang netsource and they said my DSL account is still live and being billed as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hmm.. DSL uses 4KHz chunks, If a 4Khz chunk has someting on it a Modem won't use it. Interesting things might happen with two modems on one line, as each will regard the others traffic as interference and stop using a particular chunk.

plus i thought magnet/netsource utilise unbundled lines, this seems seriously weird though, if you had a netwsource account how on earth did eircom proceed with setting up DSL on the same line lol.

ok...I've just found out. The "Alarm" Installer who installed the eircom router and account has a friend in Eircom who initialised the eircom account regardless of Netsource being on it first.

Jazus.:eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why not just come to an agreement with the Landlord to share one account via wireless. It would be cheaper for you both.

• Advertisement

also ask, if they are the same line are you paying 2 line rentals and if so, give them hell and demand a refund of all duplicated line rental. cowboys lol. and agreed, it would be far better to share your magnet business line via wireless id say

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sharing out one dsl connection is the way to go imho :)

sharing is the way we're going. Now I'm wondering if I ring Eircom and get the Eircom DSL account removed, do they switch it off altgether? or will there be still two 4khz DSL connections on the one telephone line?

god knows, you are talking about eircom here :(

Advertisement