Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom BB User - Pages slow to load?

Options
  • 06-12-2006 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi,

I put a request through just under two weeks ago to get the eircom 2mb broadband package including free router.

When i made the order the agent told me that the router would arrive within 10 days and in exactly 10 days Friday 8th Dec at 1pm, my line would be activated.

My router arrived Monday (within a week) so I decided to connect it up.
    Yesterday I rang Eircom and asked could I have the activation date pushed forward. I was told that this was not possible as it activated by some automated, preprogrammed blah blah...
    Last night for a laugh, i clicked on IE and low and behold www.google.ie was staring me in the face!!

The problem is that it takes ages to load a page....56k style waits (almost).
    I checked irishisptest and my upload speed was rated at 1.72 mbps and download at .9 mbps - almost the rated speeds.

Should my pages be taking ages to load when i am getting good download speeds (over 200k/s).

I have the wireless router directly wired to my pc but i was able to get my PSP to connect to the net wirelessly (through the router)

Does the Friday 8th Dec activation date have anything to do things?

I'm pretty clueless so all advice is appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if irish isp test gave you those results, then the problem might have been the google site, or something else. as far as the actual connection is concerned it seems fine. could be saturation on their international link, try some other sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

It was actually the same for all pages unless they were cached!

Ok, so I tried the connection again last night. 80% of pages very slow to load but download speeds good 200kbps+.

I tested the connection on irishisptest again.
    The quality of service = 99% and max pause = 54ms!

Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sculdugery

This happened to me i rang eircom and they done speed test all that and said everything was fine on there side and it was my computer that was at fault.
    The downloads and up where fine it was just taking 12 to 18 sec to load a page done my head in.....anyway long story short......power supply unit went
    bought new 1 then the HD went lost everything photos music etc, bought a 300gb hd just before it broke so i used that as the main drive so when i powered it up the eircom broadband was super fast loading pages 1 sec!
    So it sounds like a virus or somthing

I'll try that tonight. I have a second drive in my pc with xp installed for emergency purposes.

I will switch to that and test.

• Advertisement

probably a DNS server issue i reckon, try using a root server, or some other open DNS in ireland/uk

JNive wrote:
    probably a DNS server issue i reckon, try using a root server, or some other open DNS in ireland/uk

aplogoies, but I'm a noob! can you please explain how to do that?

Every site I try load is slow, 1% of the time the pages will load at rapid speed but there seems to be no pattern, ie It could be a new site I never visited before and it is not cached yet

http://www.opendns.com/

give that a shot
    basically when any file or site is retrieved via www.mysite.com type addresses, it needs to look up the correct ip for that address from a DNS server. if this process is slow, it can cause a huge delay in connecting to the site. if a site utilises components from multiple domains, then the loading is even slower, and depends upon what your browsers cache settigns are.

Sculdugery wrote:
    ......power supply unit went
    bought new 1 then the HD went lost everything photos music etc, bought a 300gb hd just before it broke so i used that as the main drive so when i powered it up the eircom broadband was super fast loading pages 1 sec!
    So it sounds like a virus or somthing

I got my speed issue resolved. Just thought I'd my solution in case anyone else comes across the same problem.

I rang Eircom and they went suggested the usual, delete cookies and temp files and defrag. I did this and there was no change, so i decided to format my pc and reinstall windows. (Eircom's only other suggestions was to get an engineer to investigate and i thought a format is a hell of a lot easier than coordinating an engineer visit).

Anyways, the reinstall sorted everything. In fact, pages now load really fast, faster than I expected!

Advertisement