Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Rant? Oh yes indeedy.

Options
  • 06-12-2006 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Ok for those people who cannot drive or don't know how to join a motorway properly. when you are on the on ramp for the M50 and you have gone past the marker that says 100-120km/h actually make the bloody effort to accellerate to the same speed as the oncoming traffic so you may join with grace. Traveling at 50-60 k/h is dangerous as you may have oncoming traffic flying up behind you at 120k/h. Meaning you pull out and WHAM, the back part of your car is now a BMW as opposed to the front part being a Micra.

I HATE it when i'm stuck behind some one who thinks they are being 'safe' by driving slowly. It's a high speed road and I really think that a minimal speed needs to be introduced. I would also be in favour of teaching people on provisionals how to exactly drive on the motorway rather then lie to ourselves about provisional drivers being on the motorway.

So once more.

1) Join M50
    2) Accellerate to match the speed of the traffic (quick as possible)
    3) Join with grace

Simple eh? Oh and one last thing if you drive a Lorry don't overtake another on the M50, your not fast enough to do it.

I feel better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

layke wrote:
    I really think that a minimal speed needs to be introduced

Agreed. In the Netherlands, (max speed 120km/h, min speed 70km/h) the police wouldn't hesitate a second given the choice of pulling a car doing 60km/h or a car doing 160km/h. The slow one is the one to be taken off the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

People are just dopes the same drivers that merge onto a M-way at 60-70 km/h probably speed through 50 km/h zones. There are few things more satisfying in life than watching some dawdler being pulled by the Gardai for doing 60 in a 50 km/h zone after he's held you up by crawling along at the same speed in a 100 km/h zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

What happened to the new rules regarding buses and trucks using the overtaking lane??
    The hype is now over so lets forget about it? Mobile phone ban will become the same, once the hype is over...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

layke wrote:
    So once more.

1) Join M50
    2) Accellerate to match the speed of the traffic (quick as possible)
    3) Join with grace

Or

1) Join M50
    2) Decelerate to match the speed of the traffic (quick as possible)
    3) Join with grace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Bluetonic wrote:
    Or

1) Join M50
    3) Join with grace

Or

1) Attempt to Join M50
    3) Join with sheer and utter frustration at the lack of progress in traffic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

lol, fair enlugh points.

What was this overtaking lane rule for trucks? I hate them on the M50 because they are always slow, they try to overtake at superslow speeds and when your behind them your car gets covered in mud and you can see sweet FA down the road.

In fact they are my most hated vehicle to be stuck behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Can I add to your rant,

Do not come flying out to the outside lane once you have joined the motorway. Some people are moving at 120kpm+ and have moved to this lane to let you on. This may cause the back of your BMW to look like a crushed can.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Op why don't you move into the overtaking lane when approaching a slip road providing it's safe to do so. That way you won't have to take sudden avoiding action if somebody is merging at a much lower speed and everybody can continue at their leisure and no need for raised blood pressures. It works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Seeing as it is going to end up like this sooner or later, might I be the first to state in this thread the following words:

L Drivers,
    Fog Lights,
    Fast Lane.

Thank you.

OP, do you ever get the feeling you are "preaching to the converted"?

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Seeing as it is going to end up like this sooner or later, might I be the first to state in this thread the following words:

L Drivers,
    Fog Lights,
    Fast Lane.

Thank you.

OP, do you ever get the feeling you are "preaching to the converted"?

It won't end up like that. If it does i'll request KB lock it.

I'm not preacing to anyone, i'm ranting about something that annoyed me this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

endplate wrote:
    Op why don't you move into the overtaking lane when approaching a slip road providing it's safe to do so. That way you won't have to take sudden avoiding action if somebody is merging at a much lower speed and everybody can continue at their leisure and no need for raised blood pressures. It works for me.

I think OP's problem is being stuck behind "safely does it" while trying to enter the motorway himself. In that case, you're relying on the other drivers to pull over or else you could end up being the one involved in the accident while "safely does it" meanders on in front of you, complacent in the knowledge that she's going at a nice safe speed and doesn't have to be involved in accidents like all those other nutcases :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

layke wrote:
    It won't end up like that. If it does i'll request KB lock it.

I'm not preaching to anyone, i'm ranting about something that annoyed me this morning.

There is one place that this behaviour happens 100% of the time - joining M50 northbound from N3. Theres a fairly long sliproad, its downhill as usual, but probably 2 times longer than most slip roads. So, plenty of time to get up to speed. What do most people do? Drive at 60 - 70 km/h all the way down the slip road. Then, when it joins the motorway, the motorway is going uphill, and they are hardly gonna accelerate up a hill, now are they :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Can I add to your rant, Do not come flying out to the outside lane once you have joined the motorway.

OP seconded and OldmanMondeo tripled, indeed directed at those drones who believe they have a God-given right to be let into the overtaking lane (preferably smack into the safety distance between cars already there, and so what if the following driver has to drop anchors?), within 50 yards of joining up the M-way :mad:

There should be automatic "no-speeding" cameras onto merging lanes, interfaced with traffic sensors on the M'way (to disconnect camera if traffic crawling/stood): if M'way is clear and you're travelling at less than 80kph, zzap, 2 points :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Stark wrote:
    I think OP's problem is being stuck behind "safely does it" while trying to enter the motorway himself. In that case, you're relying on the other drivers to pull over or else you could end up being the one involved in the accident while "safely does it" meanders on in front of you, complacent in the knowledge that she's going at a nice safe speed and doesn't have to be involved in accidents like all those other nutcases :)

That is such an important point, after 2 years roads on the roads - still pretty much a beginner, I know) but if there is one thing that annoys me it's Mr/Mrs. 'Safely does it'.
    I've had 2 near accidents in my years both of them directly invovling' these safetly does it' people. The people who can't turn any kind of corner at any kind of speed. The same people that drive 50 in 80 zones, big 80 zones with three lanes like the approach to Newlands Cross. The same people who dilly dally at the lights (ITS GREEN), the same people who freeze at roundabouts, these people are probably causing a significant percentage of accidents without it ever really being their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I agree getting caught behind one truck overtaking another is really frustrating - it should be noted though that legally all trucks have to have limiters fitted and at around the same speed - used to be around 55 - 60 mph. I would have some sympathy if a truck driver gets stuck behind another truck that is going a bit slower than them, and cant get up enough speed to pass out quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

And another thing, if your in the outside lane and a car come up behind you, move over and let it past. Unless your a gard, you have no right to try and slow the other vechile down. Yes you might be doing 120kpm, but the car behind might have a good reason to be going faster than you.

Infact don't sit in the outside lane if there is no traffic in the inside lane.

and turn off your rear fogs.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Gerry wrote:
    There is one place that this behaviour happens 100% of the time - joining M50 northbound from N3. Theres a fairly long sliproad, its downhill as usual, but probably 2 times longer than most slip roads. So, plenty of time to get up to speed. What do most people do? Drive at 60 - 70 km/h all the way down the slip road. Then, when it joins the motorway, the motorway is going uphill, and they are hardly gonna accelerate up a hill, now are they :rolleyes:
    I see this all the time, does my head in.....and then people afraid to rev their engine a little bit as they try labour the car up the hill! One thing to note though is that the 120kph sign doesn't appear until the uphill section so "technically" they shouldn't be going 120kph until then. Personally I let the traffic in front get ahead of me and then I boot it leaving myself enough space to get up to 120kph and merge without being effected by the neandrathols meandering along at 60-70kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

fletch wrote:
    I see this all the time, does my head in.....and then people afraid to rev their engine a little bit as they try labour the car up the hill! One thing to note though is that the 120kph sign doesn't appear until the uphill section so "technically" they shouldn't be going 120kph until then. Personally I let the traffic in front get ahead of me and then I boot it leaving myself enough space to get up to 120kph and merge without being effected by the neandrathols meandering along at 60-70kph.

Yeah, its a pity they won't even try going at 80 though. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it wasn't uphill when you join the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Stark wrote:

Yeah apologies mis read it. Motorway eticate (sp) is a serious problem here suppose it's cos we are only starting to grow our motorway structure and a lot of people don't understand them properly. We need more of those road safety messages that we used to get years ago on the telly (anybody remember those?)

I was driving on a nearly empty motorway (M50 southbound) Fiat Punto on the overtaking lane hogging it at 100KPH. Gave her a chance we passed 2 cars ok now plenty of room to move over nope. So flashed the lights and got brake tested then she pulled over. As I passed her I stared at her wondering what she was doing and got a dirty look back after passing her she moves back onto the overtaking lane and flashes at me:confused: . So I just pulled into the other outside lane and continued on. What a idiot

Advertisement