Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pudding Question

• 06-12-2006 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Here's the question.

I started to make a Christmas last Saturday, the usual stuff, flour, breadcrumbs, raisons, eggs, orange zest and so on. I made the mixture on Saturday and put the mixture in two bowls to stand overnight. On Sunday I steamed the first bowl for some hours and everything went well. I realised I wasn't going to have time to do the second bowl that day. Then I didn't have time on Monday or Tuesday.

Today is Wednesday.

Is it still ok to steam this mixture considering it's been standing for a while? The thing that concerns me most is the eggs.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Did you "stand it" in a fridge? Are there any preserving alcohols in it?

At room temperature for that length of time I wouldn't trust it. Would you drink milk that had been at room temp for three days?

Not a criticism, just an observation, your pud should have been made by the end of October at the latest for it to be properly matured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

There's some whiskey in it. And it's been standing in the fridge since Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To be honest, it could go either way. Does it taste/smell ok? As you'll be (presumably) boiling it for hours, it *might* be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I think I'll just chuck it out. It smells ok but I don't want the mother in law to get salmonella poisoning :D It's been sealed in an air tight bowl since Sunday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

it will be ok,you said there`s alcohol in it and it`s in the fridge since sunday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Those things would withstand a nuclear winter....you'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP did you put suet in? I have a recipe but it uses margarine instead of suet so I'm not sure wether it'll taste the same? I don't eat pudding myself and have never made one before - it's for my dad who will eat anything but I want it to taste right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Tk, use suet if it says to, it contains a lot of flavour, it won't be as good without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks for the advise. I used suet and made 2 puds on Sunday. He's already eaten one of them!

Advertisement