Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancer/General] How to cope with hair loss/wigs

Options
  • 06-12-2006 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi, just some of my experience/tips on coping with hair loss/getting a wig:
    1) If you are starting chemo go about your wig before you start it, it will be less traumatic and if you leave it until after you start chemo they may not have your wig in at the right time.
    2) They say that you should get your hair cut shorter before hand, if nothing else it makes the change to no hair less traumatic.
    3) You do not need a wig but it will help in the first few weeks when the hair loss can be very traumatic.
    4) You can get real hair or artificial hair wigs - real hair wigs require a LOT of maintenance and I have seen several sites not recomend them for chemo patients but have one myself, artificial hair wigs are easy to look after.
    5) You can get your wig styled (not so sure about the artificial hair wigs).
    6) Silk scarves are great for the summer to cover hair loss but hats and beanies are better for the winter.
    7) You will find that you get very cold without your hat/wig so should probably wear a hat in bed (not your wig!)

I am sure that a lot of this is common sense but I hope that it helps someone, I found the hair loss suprisingly emotional but it only lasts a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i am just after finishing chemo about a month ago.
    My hair is just starting to grow back. I was given some advice to let it grow then cut it short again. To make it stronger anyone have any experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

E@gle. wrote:
    i am just after finishing chemo about a month ago.
    My hair is just starting to grow back. I was given some advice to let it grow then cut it short again. To make it stronger anyone have any experience with this?
    Yes, I was told the same for when I finish my chemo (hopefully after this month).

Mine is going back kinda fluffy and its soft but when ya notice it growing back its back in no time. I had 4 chemos then a 8 week break and it grew back fully the same as before but then they chaged the type of chemo and its not growing back as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

remember too that hair loss is completely reversible and once the chemo ends, hair grows back. It is never permanent although it may take a while to look the same as before.

Its really important you talk with your oncology nurse about these things as they have all the inside info to help you out.

i think that the hair loss aspect of chemo is one of harest parts that people have to come to terms with beacuse it effects they way you look. personally i had no problems with it but thats just me.

but as DrIndy said it grows back so dont worry bout it too much.

Also iv heard that ur hair can grow back a different colour and curly sometimes mine i think is a lot moer blonde than before(i was kinda fair before)

i was talking to a guy in the hospital that had same cancer as myself and his hair was never curly before and after chemo it was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement