Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Remote Control Lights for your Home Theatre

• 06-12-2006 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭

Dunno if I should post this in gadgets or in home entertainment, but anyway..

For those of you building your own home cinema, or just if like me, you're extremely lazy, you have to get the remote control lights in.. Here's a great very inexpensive option, that I've had for about 4 years in my house..
    VLIC1401.JPG

It's basically a direct replacement for your current light switch, that adds touch sensitive dimmer functionality, but you'll also notice that it's got an infra-red receiver in the centre of the switch. The switch is programmable to accept any infra-red signal, so in my case, I've programmed it to one of the redundant buttons on my remote control. How much does it cost? About the cost of an ordinary dimmer switch in this country (28 euro inc delivery). I got mine here, where they have them in Chrome, Georgian,Matt Chrome,Victorian and plain old White. You can also use something like a One4All remote control, and include the lights as part of a Macro (e.g. turn on DVD player, turn on TV, switch digital receiver to DVD, Dim lights). The delivery charges on that site are reasonable, and they've a lot of other good stuff to at good prices.

So why am I sharing this with you? Cos my brother recently went out and paid around the same amount of money for an ordinary ugly dimmer switch, and I'm tired of watching people getting ripped off when buying things in this country.. And it rocks... :D Now, I wont be exclusive anymore though. :(

Think I'll cross-post in Gadgets, if nobody minds...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Anyone have any experiences with this http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=77578&MenuName=LIGHT+AND+POWER+CONTROL&FromMenu=y&doy=6m12

its a set which can control lights, sockets etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I have one in my living room (same as OP). I got it from B&Q. Think it was around the same price. I use my Harmony 885 to control it. Lazy days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I have these.

http://www.getplc.com/smart/wireless-lighting/default.asp

Rather than using infrared, it uses RF.

Most elec wholesalers sell them and they also sell those wireless remote dimmers aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

You want to look into X10 for this kind of stuff.
    www.letsautomate.com

I have every light in my house controlled via X10, including my heating. You can then control it via customised tv menu, pc, phone (dial in from anywhere), motion sensors (turn a light on when you walk into a room), web access, email, wap etc.

Wexfordman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hhow much did that setup set you back, Wexfordman?
    How do you integrate your central heating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

Any1 got a 'clapper' light? they seem fun!

If you want to be savvy. You can also integrate motion sensors as you walk into your room with an override to switch them off when the movie starts.

Krusty,

Cost me a couple of grand over all (did it about 5 years ago). I have alarm system that is x10 compatable, with dial in/out on it, so can dial in to controll any of my devices.

The heating was simply installing some x10 appliance modules alongside the standard heating timer switch. Very easy to do, and easy to retrofit also.

Motion sensors about the house activate lights as you walk in (after sunset). Mini x10 alarm clock next to bed lets me turn off every light and appliance in the house and activate the alarm all at the touch of a button.

Rough cost:

About 35 pounds stg per light circuit
    Alarm system, about 800 euros
    Good quality home controller unit (google "homevision") 400 stg (this is the brains of the system though, but cheaper versions area available from about 60 quid up).

Oh yeah, the ultimate gadget too is a SONOS (www.sonos.com). Got this is six rooms about the house.

Wexfordman

Nice system.

PS:just edited that link to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very nice wexfordman... I just had a quick look at the Sonos equipment on eBay.. Might have to hang on a few weeks until some of my children are sold..

So your interface to all of your devices (externally) is the alarm system?
    Does homevision provide a web interface? Media Centre?

• Advertisement

Krusty,

I have three interfaces if that is the correct word:-

Securtity system:- Provides dial in access to control any device. new version also provides a web server.
    Homevision:- This is waht I use to provide my web interface. Also has an interface through the tv with a customised menu system on the tv (a bit like teletext although not as flash) with control via IR from a multifunction remote control.

(This is about the only post where you will hear teletext described as "flash")

Wexfordman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Ah feck, the sonos system only works 32 rooms!!!

bloody discrimination ;o)

Advertisement