Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First night with Ali...

Options
  • 06-12-2006 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Ali (10 weeks) arrived into the household at 11pm last night after an hours drive up from the breeders place. Tyson (15 months) is delighted to have a playmate being very boisterous (he dosent know his own strenght :D ) So far theres only been 3 accidents and 1 direct hit (well she used the newspaper :D). Mind u one of those accidents was at 9am this morning and of course tyson decided to let fly at the same time!!!

Of course night one was very restless with a tiny boxer sleeping on my shoulders snoring her head off and another big boxer at my feet snoring his head off, just as well im deaf!

Here comes the long hard work of training one puppy (ali) and retraining another (tyson, hes sure to regress now that theres a distraction around!!)

BTW does anyone have any sure fire ways to ensure that both dogs eat out of their own bowls? Ive tried putting the bowls in places where only one or the other can get to but its difficult with the bigger dogs bowl as i have no ledge high enough...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

boomer_ie wrote:
    BTW does anyone have any sure fire ways to ensure that both dogs eat out of their own bowls? Ive tried putting the bowls in places where only one or the other can get to but its difficult with the bigger dogs bowl as i have no ledge high enough...

Separate rooms !

Handy to get them used to that, if feasible. It will make things easier later on should one dog require medicine/ different diet / special treat.
    Because the food in the other one's bowl is always more interesting!
    Plus it will prevent jealousy and possible fights over food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

definitely seperate rooms with the door closed if possible. My 2 are best of friends but food bowls do cause fights, my springer usually finishes first and my Jack Russell x has her tail between her legs trying to finish as quick as she can to avoid her food being stolen. Better to keep them seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

hey good luck with the new pup have you pics of the dogs? i love boxers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

neacy69 wrote:
    hey good luck with the new pup have you pics of the dogs? i love boxers...

The pics can be found at

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1913

Happy viewing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr.B

I have an 18 month old female boxer and I have been thinking about getting another male boxer pup just like what you have done. A few questions:

Did your older dog have any problems accepting the new pup?

Are they left alone during the day or are you home all day?

My boxer is extremely wild and playful like all boxers, will this make it very hard to train the new pup and try to retrain the older one?

ANy advice on this issue most appreciated as I would love another companion for my dog but worry about leaving them together during the day and my older one giving the new pup her destructive habits, but I think it would be really good for her to have a playmate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Mr.B wrote:
    I have an 18 month old female boxer and I have been thinking about getting another male boxer pup just like what you have done. A few questions:

sorry for the delay in getting back to you, i had planned a quiet week in order to look after the pup but got called into work on several occasions. Luckily little brother and sister helped out (well with a new puppy it would have been impossible to stop them!!)
    Mr.B wrote:
    Did your older dog have any problems accepting the new pup?

I at first thought he had a problem all right as he seemed to be boisterous with her until i remembered that he was playing exactly the same way with ali as I had noticed her playing with her sole remaining litter mate. There have been the growls and barks but thats all part of the playing. Mind you ali still has to get used to tysons barking when someone comes to the door (initially she ran the opposite direction but is slowly getting better).
    Mr.B wrote:
    Are they left alone during the day or are you home all day?

My work hours are all over the place (I own my own business) which means there are times when I am not in the house and sometimes as mentioned above the little brother and sister have stepped into the breech, however there have been times when noone was around and I crated tyson and left ali running around in the sitting room (suitably boxer proofed!), there have (naturally) been some accidents but she has done her business outside (to LOTS of praise).
    Mr.B wrote:
    My boxer is extremely wild and playful like all boxers, will this make it very hard to train the new pup and try to retrain the older one?

It shouldnt do really, they will learn off each other i feel (only took ali one day to learn how to use the stairs which at 5 months took tyson a few days :D) Tyson is a little bolder so he is needing a little retraining and reinforcement of lessons learned which I had been expecting.
    Mr.B wrote:
    ANy advice on this issue most appreciated as I would love another companion for my dog but worry about leaving them together during the day and my older one giving the new pup her destructive habits, but I think it would be really good for her to have a playmate.

Just remember to give LOTS of praise and attention to the existing dog as she may be feeling a tad insecure with the arrival of the new pup and accidents will occurr so be prepared for them.

Oh and keep a camera handy, you can get lovely shots like:

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1942

And yes shes melting hearts, and both of them are helping me through a few personal issues. They cost a fortune but their love knows no bounds.

Advertisement