Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Clubs in Cork

Options
  • 06-12-2006 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all
    I am looking to get a rifle license but cannot find anything on the internet about clubs in cork. The only club I was successful at finding and contacting was the Fermoy Gun Club but it now turns out that their hours of operation may not suit me as they conflict with my hours of work. If anybody has any contact details for Cork Clubs, particularly the ovens area then I would be grateful.
    I want to do mostly some target shooting but i will also want to go hunting now and again.
    Cheers
    Jimbon
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Fermoy is the only club i know of but would be very interested in a club near the city. Clubs tend to be one way or another if its target shooting they'll have their own range and stick to that whereas a hunting club will just have land permissions which their members use.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

There's one in Mallow. The guys in Fermoy or the SSAI should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

That would be Mallow rifle and pistol club, though the actual range is in doneraile. Contact Pay Hayes at the Mallow Pet Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

fermoy is the cheaper of the two pat deals with more the centre fire side of things and fermoy have the better club house,,,

Dave Barry is the fo in ballincollig,, very nice man,,
    if things are done right he will be very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jimbon

Thanks for your quick replies. I have spoken with Dave already and he is ready to help me once i get my permission or membership. In Doneraile, what are the opening hours? and what do you mean by centre fire of things?
    cheers
    Jimbon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Centrefire are fullbore rifles - .223 etc. Heavy calibre, long(ish) range shooting.

.22lr is a rimfire rifle, less powerful etc.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings I believe. I let my membership lapse after my car was totalled, so that may have changed in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I don't think Pat's range is open in the evenings on Wednesday except in the Spring/Summer months.

Have a look before you part with your money - Pat is sound enough.

It's on the side of a hill and is very very exposed to the wind - you also shoot at a fair incline :rolleyes:
    The targets are all on the same line so if you want to shoot at 200yrds everyone must move back with you - it's the first range I've been to so don't know what the normal setup is? Wouldn't fixed firing positions and targets at different ranges make more sence?

Still it's good to have a spot to fire off a few boxes without any hassle - and I'm looking forward to getting out there a lot more in the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wouldn't fixed firing positions and targets at different ranges make more sence?
    More than echelon shooting like in Bisley :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

thelurcher wrote:
    Wouldn't fixed firing positions and targets at different ranges make more sence?

Would create major problems given current recomended range setup.

• Advertisement

Fermoy Rifle Club has 3 or 4 ranges and is ran very well. I just can’t join because the opening hours interfere with my work hours. Keiran Barry is the Sec there. Told him I will definitely join in the future when they have longer opening hours, which they eventually hope to have.

Does anyone have any contact details of regular gun clubs in the Cork/Ovens area?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

jimbon th eonly clubs in the cork area are fermoy and pat's

see PM

Hi All, I just put a deposit on my first gun today. It's a CZ452. I also got permission from two land owners but its really only to help me out with my license. Still need to find a shooting spot in cork though.
    cheers
    Jimbon

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Lads

does anyone have some contact details for the guys in Fermoy, I am living in the east Cork area near midelton - and would be interested in access to a local range.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 NUTTA1

If you were thinkin of mallow you may aswell forget it for now mate !

Check out the new thead about it not good news at the mo I'm afraid !!!!!

yea i was reading the thread NUTTA1, cant believe it. talk about a raw deal.

there clearly is a lot of interest in a facility such as this being available to people - cant understand why it should be so difficult!!!

Advertisement