Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essay Return

Options
  • 06-12-2006 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

I handed in an essay there a few weeks as part of continueous assesment in final year politics and i just emailed the lecturer there to find out when i could pick it up and all that!
    he replied saying that i would not be getting it back because it was "School Policy" and that i could get marks and comments in the new year.

WTF is that **** all about??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

*shrug* I can't get English essays back either...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I've never got essays back. I don't know how it works in other Schools, but in English you get an opportunity to get feedback and read the notes they made, your tutor/lecturer gives you a copy of your coversheet back, but that's all you get. You're supposed to keep copies of your essays yourself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i have a copy of it but thats not really the point, for the last three years i have got essays back from them and now all of a sudden not any more, my other department gives them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dazman2250

What subject within 3rd politics was it if you don't mind my asking, i'm third year also and have yet to get back my Dynamics of European integration essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm in 2nd year politics and I get all my essays back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Standard that essays aren't returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i've only ever gotten one essay back and that was in first year for a legal writing assignment. onve you get your result whats the big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sarchasm

tintinr35 wrote:
    I handed in an essay there a few weeks as part of continueous assesment in final year politics and i just emailed the lecturer there to find out when i could pick it up and all that!
    he replied saying that i would not be getting it back because it was "School Policy" and that i could get marks and comments in the new year.

WTF is that **** all about??

my boyfriend is also doing 3rd year politics,he handed in about 5 essays, he hasnt gotten any marks back because its continuous assessment.if u do get the marks it definitely wont be until the xmas exams are over.i guess its just easier for them to total it all up then, or they are just being annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭I_Mr_Euphony

Sarchasm wrote:
    my boyfriend is also doing 3rd year politics,he handed in about 5 essays, he hasnt gotten any marks back because its continuous assessment.if u do get the marks it definitely wont be until the xmas exams are over.i guess its just easier for them to total it all up then, or they are just being annoying.
    Seeing as its continuous assesment shouldn't you be getting the marks back, so you can see how you are doing and where your going wrong.
    Isn't that the whole point of continuous assesment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The idea is that you get a grade, not a specific mark. If your attendance et al are excellent and you participate well in group discussion etc. when it comes to the end of year results you may be bumped up a grade overall if you're borderline, especially between a fail and pass if things have gone badly in the exams, based on reevaluation of your essays. Not giving you the exact mark is more to allow for you to get more at then end of the day than to annoy the crap out of you, as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I know in Radiography we're never given any of our assessments back. The external examiners must have access to all our work at the end of the year and also at the end of our 4 years so it's school policy that they're not given back, possibly because they know how good we are at losing stuff.

We do get feedback sheets though that tell us marks and the breakdown of marks by section etc and if it was an exam we get to look at our scripts automatically. If it's something like a project we can ask the module leader for access to view the project and they'll generally sit down and go through it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

its the Conflict in Northern Ireland Course!
    while i have not got back any essays as yet in other politics courses, i have got back my History of Art ones with marks,
    i am in final year so we dont get graded on the Modular scale A,B,C etc, we still go by the % of the old system!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I used to get my homework back, but not anymore. I just make a copy of it.
    It's all numbers anyway, so you're either right or wrong, so you can correct your own in the tutorials.

Advertisement