Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Headline-€8k for FTB

Options
  • 06-12-2006 2:48pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any updates on the budget?

Just saw this headline in the Herald

Edit: Budget doesnt start till 3:45. ****ing Hearld. Why did I bother!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

8k for FTB, now that would be a silly quick fix to grab a few votes for the election, not that they'd do that..

I think thats just the herald trying to sell papers ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

whizzbang wrote:
    8k for FTB, now that would be a silly quick fix to grab a few votes for the election, not that they'd do that..

I think thats just the herald trying to sell papers ;)

If they did it I wont vote for them but I'd take their money.

Probably just to sell papers all right. I was set to buy it but I didnt have enough change and I wasnt breaking any notes. Ha you lose EH!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

so all houses are going up by €8k tonight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lex Luthor wrote:
    so all houses are going up by €8k tonight?

Hopefully not the ones that have been signed for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 diego

they are only dealing with mortgage interest relief. it won't have any impact on the market so we get to see if things are really tanking or if there's one last dying sting left...

• Advertisement

Mortgage interest relief for first-time buyers to be doubled to €8,000 for a single person

How does mortgage interest relief work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

kearnsr wrote:
    How does mortgage interest relief work?

I was going to describe it but this does it better.

Basically you can claim 20% of part (16k) of the interest part on your mortgage back, up to a certain limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im just a lowly engineer, this mumbo jumbo gives me a headache.

Where are you getting 16k from and how do you know what the limit is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Currently for a single person paying a mortgage they claim tax relief(at 20%) on up to 4000 of the interest they pay in a given year.
    4000 @20% is 800(or approx 67 per month).

With todays budget this relief becomes 134pm(relief of up to 8000 pa)

The 16k is the interest limit for a married couple(double the 8k for a single person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Thanks JackieChan. If theres two people on the mortgage can they both claim credits? Or just one of you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Okay, so what does this mean for a person who is buyinga house tomorrow, literally, I'm closing the deal tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

podge018 wrote:
    Okay, so what does this mean for a person who is buyinga house tomorrow, literally, I'm closing the deal tomorrow.
    Assumming you are paying maximum interest and maximum tax, you will be €67/month better off.

Victor wrote:
    Assumming you are paying maximum interest and maximum tax, you will be €67/month better off.

What do you mean by maximum interest?

kearnsr wrote:
    What do you mean by maximum interest?
    You can only avail of the full credit if you are paying that amount in interest. If you only have a modest mortgage and are only paying €500 a year in interest, then you credit will be based on that, not the €16,000.

Victor wrote:
    You can only avail of the full credit if you are paying that amount in interest. If you only have a modest mortgage and are only paying €500 a year in interest, then you credit will be based on that, not the €16,000.

Thanks for that.

Another quick question.

A friend of mine bought a place with his girlfriend.

Can each of them get the €8000 or is down to the mortgage only?

kearnsr wrote:
    Can each of them get the €8000 or is down to the mortgage only?
    I suspect both will need to be owners, named on the mortgage and paying enough tax.

Victor wrote:
    I suspect both will need to be owners, named on the mortgage and paying enough tax.

They arent sure so they are going to see their money man next week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Victor wrote:
    I bought a house with a friend back in May. Will both of us will be entitled to the increased mortgage interest relief? Or is it only for people that are in the process of buying a new house?

BaZmO* wrote:
    I bought a house with a friend back in May. Will both of us will be entitled to the increased mortgage interest relief? Or is it only for people that are in the process of buying a new house?
    I suspect its the same definition they had before - I think the first five years. You may have to wait for the Finance Bill for clarity.

Advertisement