Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows refuses to boot.

• 06-12-2006 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

I turned on the pc this morning and let AVG do its update. Then i let it scan. Half way through a pop-up from AVG said that winlogon.exe was infected with a trojan. some flood trojan. So it gave me the options, Heal, ignore or cancel. So ofcourse i choose heal, as thats the one i've always chosen. So after that it said for the action to be taken i need to reboot. Fine by me. Wont take more then 30 seconds.....Or so i thought. Windows started to boot normally. The xp screen with the green bars. But as soon as it looks like its gonna turn on it goes into a endless reboot.

Fine i though. I'll just go into safe mode and restore to 4 days ago ( when i installed a fresh copy of windows ) But alas no.... It loads all the drivers. Then reboots. So i tried it again, and again even with the other two safe mode options. Nope still no luck. I've cleard the cmos, reseated all hardware, checked all cables. Tried with one stick of ram, one graphics card, different ram, different graphics card.

So im kinda stuck :rolleyes: . Anyone got any ideas :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Can you try a repair with your OS disk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I'd rather it not come to that. I've tried it before, and found it causes more problems then it solves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You could try replacing (probably b0rked) copy of winlogon.exe with one from the XP cd maybe and see if it does any good? You will have to extract it from the CD.

Its been a while since i used dos, So how exactally do i do this ?

I think its something like extract d:\winlogin.exe -* c:\windows\system32 ?

Actually, i can just bypass that, And do it the normal way to install windows but just repair the installation. As google isnt bringing up anything helpfull to repair winlogon.exe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

F8 restore from last good setup?

Failing that copying winlogon from the XP should do the trick.

Tried last good setup, no luck. I cant work out how to copy the file across though. Whats the exact command ?

Couldnt be bothered with the hassle, So i did a full reinstall again. As the repair option just messed things up more.

Thanks for the help lads :)

Advertisement