Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Information System Help

Options
  • 06-12-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Im doing an assignment for college on Accounting Information Systems and am looking for some help. What kind of things would you look at in assessing a companies AIS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hi WLR, are you looking to assess if their current system works or assess as to what type of system they use?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

or are you asking what it is companies would typically look for when assessing a AIS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hey guys. We've been given a scenario of one company offering to buy another. The buyers are looking to assess the other companies AIS. We have to show a work program that we would carry out in assessing the AIS for this company and how we would gather the information.

Anyone got any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Assess the type of data that they are producing compared to the type of data they should be producing.

Lecturers are all the same.

Naturally your report is not going to state that the AIS is brillant. Instead you will examine the current AIS and pick out the problems and/or advise on a different approach.

You probably finish up be advising on a system that would be more benefical for the company.

Use of data flow charts etc will help you get a better understanding.

Good Luck.

• Advertisement

kluivert wrote:
    Assess the type of data that they are producing compared to the type of data they should be producing.

Lecturers are all the same.

Naturally your report is not going to state that the AIS is brillant. Instead you will examine the current AIS and pick out the problems and/or advise on a different approach.

You probably finish up be advising on a system that would be more benefical for the company.

Use of data flow charts etc will help you get a better understanding.

Good Luck.

But under what headings or guidelines would you assess the AIS? Break it down by assessing the IT system, and IS system around the AIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Why not look at the products out there and draw up a functionality matix. That will give you a check list of things to assess.

But under what headings or guidelines would you assess the AIS? Break it down by assessing the IT system, and IS system around the AIS?

Its been a long time since I done MIS. If I was still in college and I attend the classes, am sure I would be able to remember what to do.

Talk to your lectuere as well and see what they are looking for.

Headings may include:

1. Running Costs
    2. Technical Support
    3. Easy of Use
    4. Functionality
    5. End user agreement.
    6. Adaptability
    7. Intregration into other systems. Stock, EPOS etc

Thats just of the top of my head.

Cheers Kluivert. I had 5 of those headings written down already so at least I know Im on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The most important factor is reporting capability and in particular management reporting.

e.g. Margin Analysis, stock valuation for the purposes of maximizing cash flow, Exception reporting / audit trail /security.

As I write Accounting S/W feel free to PM me for any specifics but don't ask me to give you a features sales pitch- that's for Sales staff not developers.

• Advertisement

Cheers Kluivert. I had 5 of those headings written down already so at least I know Im on the right track.

Guranteed 100% mark on this one :D:D

Advertisement