Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project managing a self-build

Options
  • 06-12-2006 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi everyone, we're hoping to build our own home next year with direct labour, but I'd like to project manage it myself. This is our first time building, but I've no idea of what the logical process is, ie blocks, roof, plastering - what is the natural order of actually building? Or where can I find out these things? Any tips would be greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Weeshie wrote:
    Hi everyone, we're hoping to build our own home next year with direct labour, but I'd like to project manage it myself. This is our first time building, but I've no idea of what the logical process is, ie blocks, roof, plastering - what is the natural order of actually building? Or where can I find out these things? Any tips would be greatly welcomed.

There is a book call

House Building Manual by Home Bond and cost €45 and can be bought in any good book shop and from home bond them selfs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hire an experienced construction project manager to oversee it, ( it's a part-time project for him), and offer him a bonus based on phased completion. You'll save money in the end up.

Unless you are experienced in the construction industry then you might as well be project managing brain surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

kearnsr beat me to it with the book recommendation, excellent publication..

As regards managing the project yourself, it's possible to do this but I'd only advise it if you are completely comfortable with the whole process and prepared to get your hands dirty at various stages..

As jimmycrackcorm said, a lot of people employ a project-manager at some level either to overlook the whole project or as someone to call on for advice at different stages of the build..

Another word of advice would be to speak to as many people as you can who are going through/have gone through the process - good start coming on here!

Advertisement