Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to install XP over Fedora Core - can't get it to work

• 06-12-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I've got a 'stand-by' machine I use for various things, it has Fedora Core 4 on it. I want to install XP on it now. I changed the BIOS settings to boot from CD etc, which it only starts to do (XP cd is in, checking hardware configuration etc), then it remains at a dead screen with no activity.

What am I doing wrong?

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I did the same about 6 months ago but installed 2k, I formatted the HD before trying to install from the CD.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I tried to do the format with FDISK/Win98 boot disk - I have 2 floppy disks. Neither works for the fdisk process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Try gparted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ I've never tryed it but it seems pretty popular. Its bootable from cd or usb.

Edit: Windows won't install unless its a clean hard drive as far as i know so that may be your problem with the cd stalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

xp should install from boot and allow you to format then partition the drive as you like.
    the usual reasons for not installing are a corrupt burn or scratched disc

I can't get to format the disk, and the '98 boot disk recognised that it is not a FAT drive. The XP disc is original and (almost) new.

I'll have a look at the linked gparted software there.

• Advertisement

id still double check for dust and scratch marks.
    it would highly unusual, but not unknown for a disc to be corrupted point of manufacture.
    have you used it to install before?

subway wrote:
    id still double check for dust and scratch marks.
    it would highly unusual, but not unknown for a disc to be corrupted point of manufacture.
    have you used it to install before?

I have, successfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

From your Linux OS, make a Linux boot Disk, then use fips to wipe the HD

If that does not work it might be that the OS loader on the master boot record is causing you problems...

With your dos disk type fdisk /mbr ( or maybe its format /mbr its a long time since ive done it..)

bman wrote:
    Try gparted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ I've never tryed it but it seems pretty popular. Its bootable from cd or usb.

Edit: Windows won't install unless its a clean hard drive as far as i know so that may be your problem with the cd stalling.

I can't get this to start at all! I downloaded the ISO and CD versions, even unzipping all the files, but the destination PC says it can't read the media. It can be read in this PC.

S.

dodgy cd drive?
    have you got a lens cleaner

• Advertisement

subway wrote:
    dodgy cd drive?
    have you got a lens cleaner

No, can't be that. I can read the disks fine when I am in DOS prompt in FDISK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

So it can boot the gparted disk on one machine and not on the one you want install on, yes?

If thats the case then it looks like theres probably something dodgy with the cd drive in the test machine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

* WARNING - DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE DATA ON THE DRIVE *

scripts to trash the partition table
    gpart in linux might recover,
    or the old DOS 5 utility Mirror to back it up first ( pity it was then dropped :()

fire up debug on dos / windows boot disk and use the commands to overwrite the partition table, but only if you don't mind loosing all data on the drive. only good for IDE, don't think it works for SCSI or SATA http://www.fdisk.com/fdisk/HardDrive.htm
    [php]
    -F 220 L1000 0 (ENTER)
    -A CS: 100 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80 (ENTER) <---"80" for hd1, "81" for hd2 >
    xxxx:010C INT 13 (ENTER)
    xxxx:010E INT 20 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0110 (ENTER) <
    BLANK LINE "VERY IMPORTANT" >
    -G (ENTER)

Program terminated normally

- (CTRL)-(ALT)-(DEL) to reboot system[/php]

or use this from inside linux[php]dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1[/php]

Ah yes, good ole DEBUG. COMPLETELY forgot about that! D'uh, Seanie (my CompTIA days are coming back to me now!). This should do the trick.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

If you have a spare Windows PC, put the linux drive into it as a slave and format as NTFS :-) (provided its Windows 2k or XP)...saves the DEBUG typing plus the formatting part in the XP setup.

Advertisement