Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend a family holiday for next year?

Options
  • 06-12-2006 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

abroad or local...no real preference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Back in the day", when I was only small (hard to believe, but anyhoo's), my family went to Wales to one of those Holiday camps. You'd get X amount of activities for free, but some you'd have to pay for. This enabled my parents to kick back a little, but the place was interesting enough that we could goto other nearby places.

When looking into the holiday camps, ensure they do indoor activites as well as outdoor, otherwise rain may spoil the week. Also have a few activites planned.

The advantage of Wales was that its a quick trip across the water, and people mostly speak English there (as opposed to France), so its all good.

When I get home tonight, I'll check the name of the holiday camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I know a family who choose an ordnance survey map of a different area around the coast of Ireland every year. They then rent somewhere (or camp sometimes) within that map and spend a couple of weeks thoroughly exploring the area by car and bike. Sounds like a lovely idea to me and their kids seem to enjoy it too. They literally see and do everything that takes their fancy. Wouldn't suit every family though - kids would need to be school-going age really to appreciate it. You could do the same with England and travel across by ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Probably not such a good idea if you're kids are prone to travel-sickness though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

the_syco wrote:
    "Back in the day", when I was only small (hard to believe, but anyhoo's), my family went to Wales to one of those Holiday camps. You'd get X amount of activities for free, but some you'd have to pay for. This enabled my parents to kick back a little, but the place was interesting enough that we could goto other nearby places.

When looking into the holiday camps, ensure they do indoor activites as well as outdoor, otherwise rain may spoil the week. Also have a few activites planned.

The advantage of Wales was that its a quick trip across the water, and people mostly speak English there (as opposed to France), so its all good.

When I get home tonight, I'll check the name of the holiday camp.

I like the sound of that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

When I saw the title I was going to suggest Wales. It's a great place for a family holiday. We've gone two years running and still haven't seen all that's on offer. The parks/tourist places and shops have better facilities for families than what's normally available here. The Irish Ferries and Stena lines do all inclusive holiday camp holidays.

We've gone the end of June/begining of July which is a great time because the UK schools don't get their holidays until the end of the 2nd week in July. We stayed in the Quay West mobile home site in New Quay the first year. We stayed in a silver rated mobile home. It has everything you need and are of a very high standard. The second year we stayed in Saunderfoot outside Tenby. At the time accommodation plus ferry crossing cost about €700, 3 or 4 years ago. If you book before the end of February or March you get a good discount.

There's family entertainment laid on in the evenings. Most days we went off somewhere. Folly Farm is great, there's so much there, a lot of it is undercover. It has a lovely indoor fairground. Dinosaur Park near Tenby is very good.

Oakwood theme park caters for all age groups, we went there on a day trip during the summer holidays this year. We were very lucky with the weather when we went and only had one wet morning. Pemberton Chocolate factory (lovely chocolate) and local vineyard are close to each other and are ideal for wet days. The wine is potent, very strong stuff :D

There are lots of other fun parks to go to but I can't think of the names but every tourist outlet has the leaflets and they are well sign posted.

There's a steam train ride near carmarthen, I think it's Thomas the Tank. We didn't have time for it.

Prices for most things are reasonable, the welsh people are friendly.

My children would love to go back again.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote:

We've gone the end of June/begining of July which is a great time because the UK schools don't get their holidays until the end of the 2nd week in July.
    . QUOTE]

that's great info ...cheers

deisemum wrote:

We've gone the end of June/begining of July which is a great time because the UK schools don't get their holidays until the end of the 2nd week in July. .

that's great info ..cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

we went to Caernarfon two years ago & Haven site in Pwllheli last year. Slightly cheaper in first two weeks of august. Facilities very good in the caravan - we rented privately. Pool complex very good, entertainment at night was typical holiday campish which I can take or leave. Overall very good & the area had a lot to see with some great beaches.
    Castle in Caernarfon is great and there is loads to dio in North Wales.

Link for private rental of caravans (& they often include passes for the activities)

http://www.caravanholidaysonline.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Went to Pwllheli , Devon Cliffs(near Exeter), Presthaven Sands, Domaine de Kerlann (Brittany) and le Bois Masson and they're all good. Wales is very beautiful but you are nearly guaranteed rain. In France, you are nearly guaranteed good weather, and there are some fabulous places to visit, like here and here, both within easy driving distance of le Bois Masson. On the French camps all the staff are bilingual and the nighttime entertainment, which the kids love, is bilingual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Dubrovnik, Croatia. Great weather, low key but friendly people. Nice food for everyone. Go to LOPUD island then for beaches. You can stay there too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hey fingers, I'd recommend a holiday in this place - Duinrell - in Holland:
    http://www.duinrell.com/index
    Its a fantastic complex, and if you have kids its perfect. Accomodation is in chalets - high quality stuff, nothing like the Butlins I remember from the 70s!
    We spent over a week there last year with a 14, 11, and 5 yr old, and we all loved it. Hardly left the place for the week, which is unusual for us as we tend to prefer holidays away from the crowds. We booked it ourselves and organised the ferry etc., but you can do it all through Keycamp (http://www.keycamp.ie/) or similar.

Has rollercoasters, dodgems and all the ususal funfair stuff too - all free if you are resident there. Like having funderland every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Gaspode wrote: »
    Hey fingers, I'd recommend a holiday in this place - Duinrell - in Holland:
    http://www.duinrell.com/index
    Its a fantastic complex, and if you have kids its perfect. Accomodation is in chalets - high quality stuff, nothing like the Butlins I remember from the 70s!
    We spent over a week there last year with a 14, 11, and 5 yr old, and we all loved it. Hardly left the place for the week, which is unusual for us as we tend to prefer holidays away from the crowds. We booked it ourselves and organised the ferry etc., but you can do it all through Keycamp (http://www.keycamp.ie/) or similar.

Has rollercoasters, dodgems and all the ususal funfair stuff too - all free if you are resident there. Like having funderland every day.

Thinking about going here in early June. Heard a lot about it. Would we need a car or do you think there would there be enough to do on site? Wife's out of work at the moment so trying to cut down on holiday expenses. Do Keycamp do a transfer from the airport or would you be organising this yourself. Any information useful Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

This thread is 8 years old... even at that I'd say the information above is out dated. Try posting in our Travel forum for an up to date review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement