Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvas prints - need suggestions

Options
  • 06-12-2006 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if someone out there can help me out or point me in the right direction.

From time to time I get one of my designs printed to canvas (inkjet plotter is used I think) and I mount it onto canvas stretchers.

Problem I'm having is that the finished peice isn't water proof. Even the slightest drip of water will distort the ink.

Any idea's on something I can do to seal the finished peice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

not sure to be honest,
    but i though that a laser is used with an emulsion gel to burn colours onto canvases not ink-jet?
    maybe you should look into something like a wax coating finish, if it exists.
    if you figure out a good post finishing throw up a post

found this
    http://www.photocanvasprinting.com/
    "using a six-colour UV true pigment ink system... a protective coating that is resistant to scratching and spillages"

also in the printing industry i think they use a varnishing or matt varnish which is baked under UV light to dry it.
    the results are a very quick drying for the varnish. maybe theres a home kit somewhere on the interweb??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Eh I was under the impression that it was ink as I was told that the ink is UV resistant for 75 years or something like that.

I tried using spray varnish before but I had difficultly covering it evenly.

"a protective coating that is resistant to scratching and spillages" - exactly what I need but the prices on that site are extortionate!

Advertisement