Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for smokers

Options
  • 06-12-2006 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

According to breakingnews.ie:
    "Old reliables like cigarettes also get an extra €50 slapped on packets of 20."

Bit extreme!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

God old breaking news typo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

i had wondered had i heard correctly,extreme too soft a word

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

might finally discourage all you smokers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

MOH wrote:
    According to breakingnews.ie:
    "Old reliables like cigarettes also get an extra €50 slapped on packets of 20."

Bit extreme!

are you sure its 50 euro or 50cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

cent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was watching the budget very closely today and can say im shocked that the increase is only 50c, i smoke and was hoping for an increase of at least €1, but 50c is going to stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

For the sake of people's health - the increase is warranted.

It may not discourage big numbers of smokers but it may be an incentive for some.

Banning packs of 10 is a good move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Thats the goverments way of trying to stop smoking, raising the price of fags..??:mad: Maybe they should try use their brains and try to think of ways to stop people smoking in the first place,instead of their good old reliable of putting up the price, imo not many people are gonna quit, well the people ive been talking to arent anyway.
    How come they havnt raised the price of alcohol in order to go along with the drink driving campaign? Probably because most of them politicians are drinkers and dont want to have to pay any extra from their massive wage for a pint, and ya know what i bet only a minority of them politicians smoke...makes sense to me anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Make it €10 a packet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Msfc wrote:
    Maybe they should try use their brains and try to think of ways to stop people smoking in the first place,instead of their good old reliable of putting up the price, imo not many people are gonna quit, well the people ive been talking to arent anyway.

Perhaps you could offer a suggestion on how to do this or are we talking "Taxi politics".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Cork wrote:
    For the sake of people's health - the increase is warranted.
    I don't agree with this statement. 50c isn't enough to change a smokers habit. This has nothing to do with people's health, more to do with the governments pockets.

Also 50c isn't really much at all, seeing as they haven't been raised in the last couple of budgets.

Advertisement