Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal Problems

Options
  • 06-12-2006 5:37pm

I've had problems with my pedals for a while, its an irritating problem, and I'd like to fix it.

Basically there is some slack in the left pedal, i.e when i turn the right pedal it turns the cog, but i can turn the left pedal an inch before it "catches" the cog.

As you see I am not exactly an expert in these matters, and though i have tried to use the online guides to solve problmes, you seem to need to know more than i do to take care of most jobs.

If the problem is not clear enough, i could probably post a small video of what I mean.

Thanks for the help

Emmet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mark Byrne

How old is the bike?
    Years ago on bikes this used to be caused by worn cotter pins, which were cheap and easy to replace.
    I'm only fairly new to cycling again and this system is now longer used, so if the bike is in any way current, you'll need others to weigh in with a solution,

regards,
    Mark.

thanks for the speedy reply. The bike is nowhere near current, it is at least 25 years old.

Should i post pics/vid of the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mark Byrne

No need for pictures, if the bike is that old then the problem is definitely the cotter pins. If you can manage to source a pair of new cotter pins, they are extremely easy to replace. Simply remove the nut and tap out with a hammer. When the old one is out, insert the new one and put the nut back on and tighten it up. Repeat on the other pedal and that's it job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thats a good site, but he looks like a nutcase!

scb_eagle.jpeg

Would you cycle a bike after that bloke "fixed" it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement