Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on your first Provisional

Options
  • 06-12-2006 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just a quick question about driving on your first provisional.

Is it actually against the law to drive with out a fully licensed driver in the car with you when you are on your first provisional?

Lots of people have siad that it is and lots have said that it isn't.

Does anybody actually know for certain?

~euph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

yes it is

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Car drivers (category B) with a provisional licence must be accompanied at all times by, and under the supervision of, a person with a current full driving licence to drive a car. (The only exception to this, is where the driver holds a second provisonal driving licence to drive a car). The obligation to be accompanied by a qualified driver is set down in SI 352/99 Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 1999.

http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_driving_licence.html?search=provisional+licence

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just a quick question about driving on your first provisional.

Is it actually against the law to drive with out a fully licensed driver in the car with you when you are on your first provisional?
    Yes.
    Lots of people have siad that it is and lots have said that it isn't.
    The ones who said it isn't are wrong.
    Does anybody actually know for certain?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you look at your licence, you'll see a code 999 which means you must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭I_Mr_Euphony

I see, far enough.....

Thanks,

~euph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

ill let u in on a little secret everybody on a provisional drives unacompanied and the gards dont even bother enfourcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Car Mad wrote:
    ill let u in on a little secret everybody on a provisional drives unacompanied and the gards dont even bother enfourcing it.

:eek: are you serious? Where did you hear this secret? :rolleyes:

mloc123 wrote:
    :eek: are you serious? Where did you hear this secret? :rolleyes:
    i dont know thats why its a secret;) no but in all honesty do whats a gard goin to do put you in jail because you want bring your ma with you too work:D iv yet to see someone been done for driving unacompanied.i have heard of it (but they were acting like twats twas excessive speeding dangerous driving )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Well if your acting the bollox in the car, they'll pull ya faster than you can text ''Who did i wear the face off last nite?'', but if you drive an average car and you dont act the knob, the guards wont pay a blind bit of notice to you, been driving since feb 06 without L plates on, been throgh a load of check points and was'nt even asked to produce.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Car Mad wrote:
    i dono thats why its a secreat;) no but in all honestly do whats a gard goin to do put u in jail coz you want bring ur ma with u too work:D iv yet to see someone been done for driving unacompanied.i have heard of it (but they wer acting the twas excessive speeding dangerous driving )

What?

Are you related to Gamer?

• Advertisement

nereid wrote:
    What?

Are you related to Gamer?

a fair bit off topic but whos gamer?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I know the Gards have been pretty lazy in enforcing this law but from what I understand, they're cracking down on unlawful drivers right now. So I'd be extra careful if I were the OP.

And as for Gamer, who gives a toss?

well as i said before if they enfource that rule the econamy would shut down.over 400,000 provisional licence drives on the road how many of those drive to work unacompanied.if you cant drive to work you cant work full stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

400,000 provisional drivers? I'm sure you mean 40,000?

I don't think the GRA would accept a directive to crack down on this until the testing backlog is cleared. It wouldn't really be fair.

It's not ideal having 40,000 unlicensed drivers driving around, but you can't expect people to wait 12 months for the privilege of getting a licence either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ballooba wrote:
    Found this from a quick google...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0823/drivers.html?rss
    The Chief Executive Officer of the Road Safety Authority, Noel Brett, has said it is unacceptable that there are 430,000 people driving on provisional licences in Ireland.

As for the gardai not doing people for it - read what this thread is about...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ballooba wrote:
    I don't think the GRA would accept a directive to crack down on this until the testing backlog is cleared. It wouldn't really be fair
    A lot of provisional licence holders use that argument but it doesn't add up. There are 430,000 on provisional licences but only 130,000 on the waiting list for driving tests. What's the story with the other 300,000? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

A lot of provisional licence holders use that argument but it doesn't add up. There are 430,000 on provisional licences but only 130,000 on the waiting list for driving tests. What's the story with the other 300,000? :rolleyes:
    This is something that I have been wondering about.

You have to presume that it is made up of people that can't be bothered doing it and people that aren't capable of passing it.

I know a number of people that failed the test a bunch of time and just said fcuk it, tokk the plates down and have no intention trying again.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah but also alot of people get provisionals and then don't drive. I got mine just under 2 years ago so i'll be on my 2nd next month but i've only started learning in the last month. So not all 300,000 are driving around, most probably are using it for ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

kbannon wrote:
    As for the gardai not doing people for it - read what this thread is about...

I think that just makes the point that will only do you if you are doing something else wrong (poster was untaxed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

I always find it funny looking at people faces over here when I tell them that in Ireland you can drive, on your own, to your driving test. You can then be failed by a tester, certifying you as unable to drive correctly.

Oh well, anyway you can then jump back in your car on your own and drive home to tell you mates the tester was an a$$.

(That doesn't help when people abroad thing irish ppl are a bit stupid anyway!!!) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:

I don't think the GRA would accept a directive to crack down on this until the testing backlog is cleared. It wouldn't really be fair.

It's not ideal having 40,000 unlicensed drivers driving around, but you can't expect people to wait 12 months for the privilege of getting a licence either.

no its 400,000 shur if it was 40,000 the back log would be clear in no time:rolleyes: when i was on a provisional not long ago i was stoped at lots of check points where they looked for my licence showed em my provisional checked tax insurance nct and waved me on.once you have all those things id say they couldnt be bothered doin ya.iv yet to hear of someone been done for driving unacompanied.and yes i am one of the people who applied for driving test straight away didnt stop them having me waiting a year and a half tho;)

hey on another note has anyone here ever been the cause of a crash on a provisional unacompanied how did that work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

most probably are using it for ID.
    I take the point that some people may be using the provisional licence for ID but it would be counter-productive as they will be wasting valuble potential experience utilising it as a form of ID as they will have to apply for a test at some stage before being granted another.

well i for one am sick of it they could easily clear the back log in a few months if they hired more testers.remember there was a big talk about this a few months ago (over 1000 tests canceled at very short notice) so the the testers could go to a meeting to decide wheather or not to bring in more testers (how is that going to clear backlog?) anyway they voted yes and what dos stupid cullen do hires 11 new testers i think around that anyway.and says he cant hire anymore because theres a cap on the amount of people that can work for the government (something along those lines)bull**** they have enough money to hire enough testers for the next 10 years if they wanted too.this country makes me sick Rant Over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Car Mad wrote:
    well i for one am sick of it they could easily clear the back log in a few months if they hired more testers.remember there was a big talk about this a few months ago (over 1000 tests canceled at very short notice) so the the testers could go to a meeting to decide wheather or not to bring in more testers (how is that going to clear backlog?) anyway they voted yes and what dos stupid cullen do hires 11 new testers i think around that anyway.and says he cant hire anymore because theres a cap on the amount of people that can work for the government (something along those lines)bull**** they have enough money to hire enough testers for the next 10 years if they wanted too.this country makes me sick Rant Over

Punctuation please!

Its a Rant it does not need Punctuation !! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Punctuation please!

This isn't After Hours... We don criticize spelling, grammer or punctuation around here!:D

IMO you should not be allowed have a provisional until you have applied for a test. Then if you fail twice or more you should not be allowed drive unaccompanied at all and that should be enforced

Onkle51 wrote:
    This isn't After Hours... We don criticize spelling, grammer or punctuation around here!:D

IMO you should not be allowed have a provisional until you have applied for a test. Then if you fail twice or more you should not be allowed drive unaccompanied at all and that should be enforced

Ah but how would the gards know whos after failing there test twice and is driving unacompanied:D after all there is 400,000 provisional drivers on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It'd have to be marked on the license, maybe their license could be changed to a different colour after the second failure. I don't think it would be very fair to enforce the current law with the backlog thats there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

This country is a joke with the current licence scheme. The sooner this provisional licence scheme is stopped, the better for all our safety. I wish the guards would take more action and prosecute the SCUM who are breaking the law driving on provisional licences unaccompanied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Car Mad wrote:
    well i for one am sick of it they could easily clear the back log in a few months if they hired more testers...

They have. The company that runs the NCT have been contracted to do tests until the backlog is cleared and they started testing candidates recently.

Advertisement