Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on your first Provisional

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Volvoboy wrote:
    Well if your acting the bollox in the car, they'll pull ya faster than you can text ''Who did i wear the face off last nite?'', but if you drive an average car and you dont act the knob, the guards wont pay a blind bit of notice to you, been driving since feb 06 without L plates on, been throgh a load of check points and was'nt even asked to produce.

Hmm...

Volvoboy wrote:
    Some mornings i drive in the bus lane if the traffic is bad or i'm running late for fas (I know it unfair on other drivers) I leave my house at
    7am when the lanes come into effect, So from Artane through to Amiens St i would be driving straight through in all the bus lanes

Perhaps you should heed your own advice and not act the knob.

Ah but I see that you are an expert driver, a whole 10 months on a provisional so obviously you feel justified in ignoring the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

DonJose wrote:
    This country is a joke with the current licence scheme. The sooner this provisional licence scheme is stopped, the better for all our safety. I wish the guards would take more action and prosecute the SCUM who are breaking the law driving on provisional licences unaccompanied.

ahah ye spa, we're not scum, a gardai even said to me before it's a stupid law and laughed about it. Do u think the gardai should use all their resources to prosecute us 'scum' and ignore all the rapes, murders, burglaries, muggings, drugs, etc ? Yeah I can see that working mate. Also I'm getting a nissan skyline r33 turbo in about 4 months and am going to drive that unaccompanied on my 1st provisional how does that make u feel? angry? yeah? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Lorax wrote:
    ahah ye spa, we're not scum, a gardai even said to me before it's a stupid law and laughed about it. Do u think the gardai should use all their resources to prosecute us 'scum' and ignore all the rapes, murders, burglaries, muggings, drugs, etc ? Yeah I can see that working mate. Also I'm getting a nissan skyline r33 turbo in about 4 months and am going to drive that unaccompanied on my 1st provisional how does that make u feel? angry? yeah? :rolleyes:

LOL it would take more than a little sh!te like you to make me angry. Now if you were speeding and you wrapped your boy racer car around my tree, that would piss me off ;) Fair play to the guard letting inexperienced drivers who can't even reach the pedal drive away LOL

PS : Will your super duper car have big spoilers and those flames that make the car drive faster, ROFL

DonJose wrote:
    PS : Will your super duper car have big spoilers and those flames that make the car drive faster, ROFL

No, modifying the chip tho might give about 70 more BHP because there's limiters in place. u sound like u don't have a clue what you're talking about tho so I'm gonna ignore u.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

My prediction for what might happen if/when the test waiting list gets down to around 8 weeks:

- 2nd provisional unaccompanied rule abolished
    - Provisional licence to be abolished and replaced with a learner permit (legislation has already been created for this)
    - Revokation of permit for a set period of time (3-6 months) for driving unaccompanied, not displaying L-plates, driving on motorway
    - A penalty points offence of driving with L-plates on a full licence to be created (would greatly help the guards know who to stop)
    - Restrictions on drivers who have newly passed their test (i.e. R-plate, zero alcohol, speed limit, curfew)

Of course, none of this will come in before the next election ;) It's only going to get tougher for provisional licence holders. I would recommend anyone not waiting on a test to apply now, while the regulations are (relatively) loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Lorax wrote:
    Do u think the gardai should use all their resources to prosecute us 'scum' and ignore all the rapes, murders, burglaries, muggings, drugs, etc ?

Ah, the old "why don't they go after real criminals chestnut.

The driving unaccompanied before sitting a test of competency is idiotic. It is criminally stupid. Unfortunately with the state of the waiting lists there is not much that can be done.

One thing that could be done, and really should be done, is enforcing the "you must be accompanied" rule after someone sits and fails the test. Surely no one thinks someone that fails a test should be allowed to continue to drive on there own? I mean you would have to be a complete fcukwit to think someone that.
    Also I'm getting a nissan skyline r33 turbo in about 4 months and am going to drive that unaccompanied on my 1st provisional how does that make u feel? angry? yeah? :rolleyes:

I doubt it would make anyone angry. It would, however, confirm that you are an idiot and that you most likely think you are a much better driver than you actually are.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I dont actually know if my provisional is my first or second, i had a provisional for my moped many years ago, but i think it was just an M licence. So does that make my current provsional my first or second (seeing as im now driving a car?)
    My licence has 991 on it and not 999 as somebody pointed out earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lorax wrote:
    u sound like u don't have a clue what you're talking about tho so I'm gonna ignore u.

On Soviet Boards, troll ignores you!
    Cerdito wrote:
    - Provisional licence to be abolished and replaced with a learner permit (legislation has already been created for this)

What's the difference?
    I dont actually know if my provisional is my first or second, i had a provisional for my moped many years ago, but i think it was just an M licence. So does that make my current provsional my first or second (seeing as im now driving a car?)
    My licence has 991 on it and not 999 as somebody pointed out earlier.

991 means first provisional. Your licence should say "991 999". Looks like there might be a mixup (or a loophole) there. If it doesn't say 999, then you're probably legally entitled to drive unaccompanied despite being on your first provisional

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Stark wrote:
    What's the difference?
    I don't know, it might just be semantics. Looking at it another way, it could be a tactic to enforce the accompanied rule. If the change is made from a licence to a permit, a learner driver would effectively not be licensed to drive.

The learners permit may act as an auxiliary to the full licence of the accompanied driver. If this driver is not present, the learner is driving without a license, and therefore subject to the punitive measures accorded to this offence.

I found the following quote from Minister Cullen from the Irish Times on May 31st 2006 on the most recent Road Traffic Bill:
    "We are including enabling provisions with regard to learner permits," as a prelude to a reform of driver licensing, Mr Cullen said. This will prohibit provisional licence holders from driving unaccompanied.

However, these changes are dependent on reducing the waiting list of 400,000 provisional drivers seeking to do a test.

Driving uncommpanied on a provisional licence also invalidates your licence. So there'd be no difference between a provisional and a learner permit in that regard. Looks like they're to make it look like they're doing something without actually doing something.

• Advertisement

I don't get this it invalidates your license and invalidates your insurance. I've been stopped by the gards about 4-5 times in the last 3 months and all times have been driving unaccompanied on my 1st prov, I have insurance/nct on my car. All I got was a warning and sometimes not even that. I can be pretty sure if I had no insurance on the car they wouldn't have been so quick to let me off, they would have seized the car and arrested me. Same applies if I had no license. So it's complete bull**** that driving unaccompanied is invalidates your license or insurance.

The gardaí and insurance companies overlook it, but it was ruled in a court of law that driving unaccompanied invalidated your licence. Driving without a licence and driving without insurance are seperate things despite what people say. The first is generally considered a minor offence, the second is considered a major offence. As long as your insurance company is prepared to honour a claim made against you, you're insured. On a minority of insurance policies, you are actually uninsured if you drive unaccompanied.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your insurance is valid even without an accompanying fully licenced driver. You can be done for driving on an invalid licence or somethinglike that.
    I recall reading an article where the IIF (Irish Insurance Federation) confirmed this. They did state how they were also going after prov drivers who had succesful claims made against them, in a bid to recover their costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Car Mad wrote:
    hey on another note has anyone here ever been the cause of a crash on a provisional unacompanied how did that work out?

My sister was in a crash with some snobby bitch* in Donnybrook one day while on a provisional.

The gardai were two cars back from us and saw the whole thing.

The gardai pulled up and the other party started to ask if my sister had her full licence.

The female garda politely told her to be quiet that they had witnessed the accident and it was obvious that she was at fault.

As it happened one of the people in our car had a full licence so my sis probably would have been OK.

* She was really arrogant and it seemed like she might have had a few glasses of wine over lunch. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

So Moral of the story is regardless of what the law says you do not need a Full license to operate a vehicle.

DonJose, I know you're prolly a troll but i'll take a chance: Just out of interest what do you drive? Were you born with a full license? Ever drive unaccompanied?

Please enthrall me with stories of how high and mighty you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Onkle51 wrote:
    This isn't After Hours... We don criticize spelling, grammer or punctuation around here!:D
    Or even grammar ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

layke wrote:
    Just out of interest what do you drive? Were you born with a full license? Ever drive unaccompanied??
    VW, no and no ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Yeah but also alot of people get provisionals and then don't drive. I got mine just under 2 years ago so i'll be on my 2nd next month but i've only started learning in the last month. So not all 300,000 are driving around, most probably are using it for ID.

yeah i agree when i was in school friends of mine were just getting there provisional for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭topher182

afew friends of mine have been stopped at random stops and they have got away fine! i wouldnt worry about it! i dnt:D

Advertisement