Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy your pets Christmas presents?

• 06-12-2006 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Pighead was in a pub last week and as tends to happen around this time of year the subject of Christmas presents came up.

One of the lads asked me what I was getting my pets for Christmas, I sniggered and said "Playstation 3 probably". However he wasn't sniggering with me and asked once again(with a more serious and ever so slightly sinister tone) "What are you getting your pets for Christmas?

"Eh Nothing" I said, "They live with my folks so I only see them once a month and to be honest there isn't much of a bond there".

He was fcuking disgusted and started to rant about how awful it must be for them not to get a present at Christmas and how would I like it If I were a gerbel and there was nothing under the tree for me on Christmas morning.

To be honest I thought he was way out of line as even if he thought that there was no need to embarrass me in front of everybody. Pighead still maintains that its not mean of him to forsake the pets come Christmas time.

Do you get your pets pressies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

to answer your last question ...

Nope.

(They get spoiled rotten every single day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

peasant wrote:
    to answer your last question ...

Nope.

(They get spoiled rotten every single day)

Cracking answer peasant, short and concise, no bullshit.
    Pigheads taking notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 josephine20

I bought my Cats Christmas presents but god, that persons reply was a bit much. It's someones personal choice whether they do or not and it shouldn't be anyone elses business. Anyway I doubt the gerbil will know it's Christmas ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

It might be a more practical idea to send some money to an animal welfare organisation instead, and thus give an abandoned pet a much needed christmas present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Since my dogs told me they don't believe in Santa any more I refuse to buy them presents anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

They bought me a footspa last year so they don't deserve presents anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A few little things for our kitten, she needs a new bed as her other one is in bits but won't be breaking the bank or anything. As been mentioned, our little one is spoiled enough as she is! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Jeez Pighead, your friend went overboard on that one.

Anyway i went shopping for animal stuff for christmas.
    I got Trilo some presents for under the tree (thats if we bother to get one). She also got a new bed but she gets to use that now.

I did buy on behalf of Trilo some treats and toys for the mother in laws cat Monika. I did this because the mother in law looks after Trilo when i'm away and this is a way of saying thanks at Christmas.

I also have started to give a large bag of dog food to a man with two dogs who live near my work place. The dogs love their home to bits but are a little underfed. (I'd regulary bring them some scraps from work as well throughout the year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have bought our cats those Christmas Stockings you can get in the supermarket a couple of times, but frankly they're more interested in the scrunched up wrapping paper they came wrapped in than the presents themselves, so I don't bother any more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Pighead wrote:
    He was fcuking disgusted and started to rant about how awful it must be for them not to get a present at Christmas and how would I like it If I were a gerbel and there was nothing under the tree for me on Christmas morning.

Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

Dooooooo doo doo doo, dooooo do-do-do-do......

I get them what they get every week, a new bag of food. Maybe something a bit fancier like Whiskas instead of Kitekat but that's all. Although the cat needs a new collar anyway, anyone know where I can get a red glittery cat collar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Matching duffel coats for my two this winter, one blue, one pink.

They even have little tiny hoods...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Yes, because the cats love joining in with the excitement of opening (and/or savaging) things on Christmas morning. It will be the first Christmas for my newest edition and he's an extraordinary scavenger, so I've bought him various little edible things that he can hunt for and unwrap himself. Go on, laugh.

Again though it is a very personal thing. The cats hardly know it's Christmas, but all the same I enjoy watching them play with their new things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If my cat needs something I'll get it for him at Christmas (like a new bed/dish/collar) otherwise I'll just giftwrap a cat toy or box of food etc. I just like lots of gifts under the tree! :) My goldfish need a new filter for their aquarium so I'll wrap that aswell; mainly to see the people in my house go "The fish?! She got them a present- the mad cow." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Karyn wrote:
    My goldfish need a new filter for their aquarium so I'll wrap that aswell; mainly to see the people in my house go "The fish?! She got them a present- the mad cow." :D

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Does anyone find it strange that people buy coats for their dogs. Personally I see it as a waste of money - they don't have a covering of fur for nothing, you know.

Buying them a toy for chewing on is alright but I don't undersdtand why coats/jakets are needed for dogs. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Kojak wrote:
    Does anyone find it strange that people buy coats for their dogs. Personally I see it as a waste of money - they don't have a covering of fur for nothing, you know.

Buying them a toy for chewing on is alright but I don't undersdtand why coats/jakets are needed for dogs. :confused:
    To keep them dry...obviously:rolleyes: I get mine pigs ears, can you help us out this year Pighead, yours and a few of your friends.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Kojak wrote:

Nothing worse than buying clothes for your pet! Sure if they need them because of the weather, thats fine, but otherwise leave it out already.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

My sister paid like €20 for a collar for our cat for Xmas. :eek:

Does anybody by their neighbours' pets presents?

I always get next door's dog a chew toy and wrap it up and everything. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Am.....I don't know how to put this delicately Pighead...........
    But we're also getting our girls one of their favourite treats......

er...a big feed of......Pigs Ears......:(

311842678_ba5c449faf_m.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yup. Always get them a gift each or one of those stockings for cat with treats, balls , playthings etc in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭j14

I'll be giving my aquarium a thorough maintenance job over the Christmas holidays (Dec 21st - Jan 3rd, I love my job!). I'll be changing the light tubes, replacing the CO2 cannister, trimming the plants, replanting cut-offs, re-arranging decor & giving the external it's 3 month check up.
    All in all at least a days work, the tank is 400 litres and five foot long.
    After all of that a few cubes of frozen blood worm and slices of cucumber should be enough to let them know it's a special time of year.
    The fish had better appreciate what I do for them!
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Got a Doggie Xmas stocking for my two dogs.
    Includes a variety of treats and a toy or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Got mine a Mr Elmo tickle me thingy (see Ebay) - its laughs and rolls around if its tickled. Must video their reaction to it - probably will have it shredded in 5 seconds.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You probably don't count children, so the only pets in our house are the mice that move in every winter. Of course, they're not the same mice...

...because they get nice new traps for Christmas. :D

(However, the neighbours' cats get well fed, with fresh mice :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My beautiful black cat Elizabeth (named after Liz Taylor - honestly, she was the feline version of her!) who is no longer with us, never had a great Christmas since she didn't like the taste of, of all things, turkey! A cat not liking turkey - the mind boggles! Her last Christmas with us was 2004 - the one when it snowed. And she was enthralled by this mystery cold white substance. Sniff! Gettin' sad... Having a pet adds a bit of a dimension to Christmas I think. There'll be no pets at my parents' house this Christmas sadly. Although maybe my bro might bring his lovely new dog there for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

The lad in your pub sounds like a weirdo. Pets don't give a sh1te if they don't get presents. They're not smart enough to realise whats going on. I don't get my cats presents.

Although I would like to get them smokey bacon scented bubbles...I'd like to see their reaction..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I get my 3 cats a stocking to share, I don't get the goldfish or the stick insects anything though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Kojak wrote:

Well you've obviously never met a whippet, no body fat and very fine coat = very cold dog come winter time. He really does need it on the cold wet days.

I'm considering buying a waterproof one for my hairy lurcher as well, as sick to death of him coming in soaking from walks after recent weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Yeah, our lab wears a coat going out. It's just easier than drying her off in bad weather or if she decides to roll in some poo she spotted before we did! (why DO they do that?!)

And who cares if it looks silly? So long as they are comfortable and happy, that's what matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Yes, I always do. My dog is too big for his bed now, so I've got him a new one, one or two toys(the last ones...dissappeared) and a few pigs ears.

Advertisement