Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di you ever wonder .....

Options
  • 06-12-2006 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

Did you ever wonder how lucky we are that the Shannon never gets really cold or freezes over ..... :confused:

otherwise we would get foreign subs creeping up the estuary(under the ice) to have a look around ..... :eek:

and Polar Bears attacking the guys in the subs .... :p

47dn1q9.jpg

ps. did the Shannon ever freeze over I wonder? .... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't know if the estuary ever froze but the Shannon in Limerick froze. In like 194? the whole of the docks froze over and I've seen pictures of it frozen up by Munchins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ wow it froze almost 1800years ago
    one would wonder how anyone could possibly know that never mind get pictures hehe

im sure it froze over 10,000years ago during the ice age

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

he said 194? not 194, I doubt there was a camera around limerick in 194

EDIT: Anyone got the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

1963 during the big freeze, there is a thread in the Weather forum from last year about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

from a link provided by Billy ....

bigfreezeinlimerick.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The Estuary and tides add saltwater to the mix; salty water is much, much less likely to freeze, so it'd be a very rare occurrence indeed.

Advertisement