Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband torrent throttling?

Options
  • 06-12-2006 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone know if BT are throttling bittorrent traffic? Is there a way to find out (without myself phoning/emailing them - I do tend to download and upload a lot and don't want to contact them from what I have heard on the boards about their customer service)?

Recenlty seen a big drop in my speed on most torrents. Tried changing port to 1720 (forwarded correctly) as I heard its a good one to use since the ISP will assume it is VOIP packets, hasn't seem to have much affect at all.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. I will include my settings just in case I fecked them up...

Bit of background info:

Windows XP SP2 (TCP/IP.sys patched to 50 incoming connections as per utorrent.com guides)

I have ADSL PPPoE 1Mb/128kb on ZyZel 660 RTU-1 modem
    Test download speed at 853-868kb per sec from irishiptest.ie
    Test upload speed at 100-110 kb per sec from same.
    Apparently this is due to the PPPoE implementation and you will not get your full rated speed because of this (I have heard, not researched).

utorrent 1.6 settings (assume I have not ticked an option if don't mentioned here):
    Connection-
    Global max upload rate 10 kB per sec
    Global max download rate 96 kB per sec
    Port used for incoming connection 1720
    Bittorrent-
    Global max number of connections 100
    Maximum number of connected peers per torrent 17
    Number of upload slots per torrent 3
    Use additional upload slots if upload speed <90% ticked
    DHT ticked
    DHT enabled for new torrents ticked
    Enable Peer exchange ticked
    Ask tracker for scrape information ticked
    Outgoing protocol encryption enabled
    Allow incoming connections enabled
    Advanced options (the rest are defaults except what I have changed below)
    netmax halfopen set to 40
    peerdisconnectinactive interval 600

My upload speed stays constant at around 8-10 kB per sec on most torrents, my problem is that now (as of about 2 days ago) I regularly get only 15-25 kB per sec downloads instead of previously 65-109 kB per sec. I tend to only download 1 torrent at a time and then seed for a good long time. Also I usually choose only decent torrents to download with a good ration of seeds to peers.

I hope it is my settings, as if it is BT then there is little I can do.....?

edit
    Should I have posted this in the net comms forum? Sorry if it is in the wrong place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Can this thread be moved to net and comms please? 0 replies here so far - don't think its the right place for it..

Advertisement