Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Societies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ElCapitano

I also think the reason why events such as the Beach Ball and Bunny Ball no longer sell out in record time is that the whole novelty of going out to a venue mid week with cheap drink has gone.

There are no less than 7 "night club promoters" running student nights on Wednesday, and that’s just Wednesday alone!

Many of these "promoters" include past auditors from the large societies.

I completely agree that modularization has hit societies hard but I also believe that saturation in realtion to nights out caused by these "promoters" is a huge factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

ElCapitano wrote:
    Many of these "promoters" include past auditors from the large societies.

Cough *wilson* cough *buckley* cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Pythia wrote:
    I find Butler quite easy to deal with.

<snip>

I think the craic has gone out of campus cos theres more people coming from the institute ,south Dublin and there gennerally quite dry.There way less people from the country around UCD these days .....im gonna get slated for saying that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

panda100 wrote:
    I think the craic has gone out of campus cos theres more people coming from the institute ,south Dublin and there gennerally quite dry.There way less people from the country around UCD these days .....im gonna get slated for saying that :)

*throws slates at panda100*

panda100 wrote:

Yes, yes you are. The fact is if the entertainment "consumer base" is changing, the societies will have to adapt.

• Advertisement

mloc wrote:
    Yes, yes you are. The fact is if the entertainment "consumer base" is changing, the societies will have to adapt.

The societies already cater for that 'consumer base' and that why there boring and no fun. Society events are always in bondi or twenty one.Really boring clubs with nil atmosphere and zero craic.Lets have a few more in flannerys,the palace,the portbello,then maybe society nights might be worth going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

panda100 wrote:

I'm hurt, so hurt, wah..........

Sidenote: these days loadsa ppl move to Dublin from the "country" 4 a year to go to the 'tute. And I repeated in Ballybrack/Loughlinstown area, I'M NOT A D4-head, stop calling me one!

dajaffa wrote:
    I'm hurt, so hurt, wah..........

Sidenote: these days loadsa ppl move to Dublin from the "country" 4 a year to go to the 'tute. And I repeated in Ballybrack/Loughlinstown area, I'M NOT A D4-head, stop calling me one!

Obviously you dont fit into this bracket dajaffa :)

panda100 wrote:
    Society events are always in bondi or twenty one.Really boring clubs with nil atmosphere and zero craic.Lets have a few more in flannerys,the palace,the portbello,then maybe society nights might be worth going too.

I agree about bondi and 21. Both of those clubs are pretty dismal.

I have to say the palace would be a great place to have an event. I even like Crawdaddy, it's huge outdoor area is quite cool. Same with D2, although it gets a little too packed sometimes.

As for the porto, there were reasons behind the lack of society events on there in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The best nights that I've heard of have either involved SurfSoc, JazzSoc or DutchSoc - three of the smallest socities.

Believe it or not but Dutchsoc is actually one of the largest societies, we just keep that intimate feeling going. The secret ingredient is love.

There are only 7 official large societies IIRC (1000+ members):
    C&E
    Law
    L&H
    B&L
    Qsoc
    Drama
    Engineering (by the skin of their teeth)
    (retro were a large society last year but are now down to 400 members, netsoc was once THE society to join but as a victum of changing times is down to circa 300 I think)

The next three biggest are Comedy, Ag sci and Med

Then theres a couple bobbing around the 500 mark, thats where dutchsoc is. Theres 120 UCD societies I think, approx 80 are active this year, so to be in the top 15-20 makes me happy enough (DutchSoc Auditor). Traditionally we beat the political parties but this year being an election year the KBC's membership doubled and they nipped us by 20-30 members. But we'll get em at refreshers day!!

• Advertisement

so societies eh?

anyone know the story is in other colleges, if they are feeling a similar burden? Even from what I've heard about trinity it doesn't seem as much fun anymore.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Right, the next person to reply off-topic in this thread is getting a good banning.

Please don't derail another thread like this.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Oh, btw, I removed those posts to a separate thread, so you can continue your debate there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055026756

from what I can tell Trinnity is just Hist Vs The Phil, small societies dont do a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Right, the next person to reply off-topic in this thread is getting a good banning.

Please don't derail another thread like this.

??? Why was my post removed - thought it was perfectly on-topic?

I moved 38 posts in one go, I'm doing finals, I didn't have time to scrutinise the detail of every post.

It's in the other thread anyway.

Technically, I should be banning you for posting off topic in this thread. Next time you want to take issue with me, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

ElCapitano wrote:
    Is it just me or has there been a distinct lack of quality events put on by the UCD societies this year?

LawSoc - terrible Ents events such as Klass Party, PJ Party, Back to the 80's, and Xmas Party

LnH - There have been no "huge guests" as in John C McGinley from Scrubs or guests such as Roger Moore and John Commisky in previous years.

CnE - Finally moved the CommBall from the hell hole that is the Pavillion but still doing the same old events

BnL - Fair play bringing in Justice but, Mystery Tour cancelled, Holloween Ball moved to a worse location at the last minute, Bunny Ball moved from Anabels to 21, Back to da Bog?

QSoc - The Mystery Tour, and the Qock Party in Lillies, enough said.

John C. McGinley was a LawSoc guest.

There are a couple of big ones lined up for the 2nd term- Patrick Stewart (I will have to be forcibly kept away from him- I am such a nerdy trekkie), Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle, couple of other too, they're just the ones I'm very overly excited about.

As people said, S&M hasn't been too helpful to societies, it's frustrating because I know that a lot of us are still putting the work in and when you do have what's shaping up to be a good debate it's disappointing to have a low turnout. Maybe we should try topless debating or somethin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

ElCapitano wrote:
    Is it just me or has there been a distinct lack of quality events put on by the UCD societies this year?

LawSoc - terrible Ents events such as Klass Party, PJ Party, Back to the 80's, and Xmas Party

LnH - There have been no "huge guests" as in John C McGinley from Scrubs or guests such as Roger Moore and John Commisky in previous years.

CnE - Finally moved the CommBall from the hell hole that is the Pavillion but still doing the same old events

BnL - Fair play bringing in Justice but, Mystery Tour cancelled, Holloween Ball moved to a worse location at the last minute, Bunny Ball moved from Anabels to 21, Back to da Bog?

QSoc - The Mystery Tour, and the Qock Party in Lillies, enough said.

Lawsoc brought in John C McGinley...

I blame a general apathy to society events on it as much as semesterisation. Noone goes to debates anymore. We couldn't even fill th. M with Nancy Cartwright ffs. Granted you can't expect every debate to fill up or every night to be a success but people just seem to have enough money not to need to arse around college during the week.

I don't think the alcohol policy is too much to blame. If the alcohol policy stops people going on nights out because they can't drink in theatres, maybe that's a good thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gliondar

Societies now find it so much harder to run succeesful night events too. The likes of <snip> shouldn't be allowed force feed their little business down the throats of UCD students feigning them to be UCD run events. In societys, every penny counts and its because of <snip> them that make their money <snip> by <snip> position and contacts to set up nightclub promotion outfits that has made UCD societies pay dearly at attendance for events. Look at the current set of Christmas parties, most of them chancers bar LawSoc pretending to be UCD run events. The Ents Office should be providing events to go to like they did last year..... such a clown outfit. I hate seeing the system being abused like this, good grief

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Who are <snip>, not everyone here is a hack. What events are you referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Easygainer wrote:
    Lawsoc brought in John C McGinley...

I blame a general apathy to society events on it as much as semesterisation. Noone goes to debates anymore. We couldn't even fill th. M with Nancy Cartwright ffs. Granted you can't expect every debate to fill up or every night to be a success but people just seem to have enough money not to need to arse around college during the week.

I don't think the alcohol policy is too much to blame. If the alcohol policy stops people going on nights out because they can't drink in theatres, maybe that's a good thing...

Nancy Cartwright was recieved in Theatre L and even then there was about 350 to 400 people attending.

No society auditor is paid. They take a year out because the work load is so intense that it would otherwise interfere with their studies. Its at their discretion whether to take a year out or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I do hear tho that they get many many bonuses in the C&E like a holiday... but I dunno, me not like that society

gubbie wrote:
    I do hear tho that they get many many bonuses in the C&E like a holiday... but I dunno, me not like that society
    There are perks Im sure, but its natural to assume that there would be something to compensate reward ppl for getting active and helping out. They do get a VIP area at the commball.

There are perks to most voluntary organisations

But I just want to dispell the notion that they're paid. Many auditors make a personal financial loss from running societies.

For example I dont charge the Dutch society for my phone bill or petrol. Ive paid for my hoodie in full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gliondar

Yes, as far as Im aware every society auditor does not get paid. But it is well known that 4 years ago the C&E Auditor bought himself a car after his term in office out of C&E money and that the committee was brought on a two week holiday to Tenerife. The audaciuos way they have presented a demand for a grant without any accounts or receipts over the past three years is despicable. The C&E auditor has in the past claimed a grant of 6000 euro to cover his phone 'bill and related expenses' which was granted in 2004. It is naive to defend these people when other societies scrape together pennies to cover their events

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Jazzsoc has asked me to send much love and respect to their homies, blush and fish-head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Representin' the JazzSoc Free Love Task Force! We have many plans a brewing, so stay tuned. Same Jazz time, same Jazz channel.

We're gonna blow your heads off with these ones.

gliondar wrote:
    Yes, as far as Im aware every society auditor does not get paid. But it is well known that 4 years ago the C&E Auditor bought himself a car after his term in office out of C&E money and that the committee was brought on a two week holiday to Tenerife. The audaciuos way they have presented a demand for a grant without any accounts or receipts over the past three years is despicable. The C&E auditor has in the past claimed a grant of 6000 euro to cover his phone 'bill and related expenses' which was granted in 2004. It is naive to defend these people when other societies scrape together pennies to cover their events

Either that or its a small part of a major conspiracy, or its total Bull Sh1t. TBH its rather reminiscent of the refugees getting free cars because they claim to be intimidated on the bus crap.

I dont believe it happened (the way you said it did).

And even the wording of your post, "every auditor does not get paid". Let me make this 100% clear and unambiguous, NO auditor EVER gets paid. Every once in a while some chancer comes along and takes a lot of perks* from the job, but if anyone was ever caught pocketing money there would be serious consequences.

*Never a car and a holiday though. And tbh I dont care who told you he did, from speaking with all the people who would an should know, they've heard the rumour but can say it definitely never happened.

Right, there's a lot of bullsiht going on, so let me be clear on this: cut the crap.

The next person to make an unfounded statement about any society member/auditor/officer will be immediately banned.

And by unfounded I mean something for which you have no evidence beyond hearsay. I'm quite prepared to launch into a lecture on the law of evidence because I've an exam in it on Monday, so don't try me.

Love you. xxx

• Advertisement

Why don't you take it up with someone who can do something about it then? I'm not being smart, I'd genuinely encourage that.

Advertisement