Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Societies

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ok, fair enough, the thing about the car and Tenerife happened before my time in college so I never witnessed it but I was told by a guy involved in C&E at the time. Althight, that is second hand information, thus hear-say. But everything else about their grants etc is true cause I WAS THERE at those meetings. Incredible the way nobody will believe me--- Always shoot the messanger. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

And if you were to ask ppl in DutchSoc last year they might tell you the committee pocketed money when the truth is that the auditor made a personal loss.

Most auditors do and thats why I want to dispell any notion to the contrary.

And about the finance committee, Im on it. I see what happens. 90% of the time Butler doesnt vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

in any case, perhaps there should be greater transparency in the accounts regulation of the societies, such as the availability of all accounts to the student body.

it'd be nice to know where our subscriptions really go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

In theory any societies accounts are available to its members, just ask the treasurer at any meeting.

In practice the accounts are pieced together by someone who wasnt even involved last year from a bank statement and an idea of what events were on when.

The accounts regulations are fairly transparent, its the student treasurer/auditor you need to chase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

Chakar wrote:
    Nancy Cartwright was recieved in Theatre L and even then there was about 350 to 400 people attending.

Oooh sorry... I was speaking at it you know. Regardless that's an awful attendance when it was postered since reg week and we lecture addressed. If anyone here was present when she first came over we filled theatre L and theatre M (used a satellite link) and still had to turn people away.

There has been a massive downturn in attendance for house debates too. When I was in 1st year most of the big house debates packed out th. M. This has steadily declined to the point where you have a topical debate with good speakers struggling to make th. R look more than empty. The only difference, and it's not really a substantive one although the quality of debaters isn't as good, is that people would often drink cans and sometimes smoke while the house debates were on.

As for nights out, there is definitely a problem with competing promotions spreading the revellers thin, but there are also a lot less people going out than were going out in 2003 pretty much everywhere. Any gander in your local on a Friday night will show this to be true.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have to agree with the point you make about general going-outness. I've worked in bars for about 5 years now, and the general turn-out for the busy nights is abysmal. Occasionally, you get a crowd in on a Friday night for no good reason, but beyond that, the going out buzz has definitely changed in the last few years.

I'd imagine it has something to do with the expense, or the comparitive cheapness of just staying in with a few cans. It's a much better buzz to get a few people around to your house when you can - drink's cheaper, there's no limit on how long you can stay drinking (beyond running out!) and you don't have to worry about getting thrown out (unless you're just a dcikhead).

• Advertisement
Advertisement