Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underfloor insulation

Options
  • 06-12-2006 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Looking for a way to insulate the fllor in my house. We have the floors sanded in the hall, sitting room and lounge. The house is over a hundred years old as are the floor boards. There are big draughts coming through the gaps in the boards. There is a gap of about 2 feet between the boards and the ground. I was thinking of maybe using kingspan insulation as this would seal up the gaps as well as insulating the floors. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What you intending to put over the floor insulation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Nothing over the floor insulation. I'll be attaching the insulation to the underside of the floorboards from below as there is a gap between the floor and the ground that I can access.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

We have insulated under the floor of a few old houses like yours. We have used two systems, the first one we took up the floorboards and nailed latts every foot or so under the joists and put Rockwool on the latts between the joists then we put thin plywood on the joists to stop the breeze and put back on the floorboards.
    The second system we used was to fill the complete underfloor area with Lightweight Aggregate up to the top of the joists and put back on the floorboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Thanks for the reply VH. Can't take the boards up as they are nailed down and I don't want to risk damaging them. Think I'll go the Kingspan Route.

Advertisement