Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Director for Limited Co

Options
  • 06-12-2006 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi there

A friend has asked if I'll be the second director for a limited company she needs to set up for contracting (to meet the legal requirement of having 2 or more directors). I've heard of loads of people getting their Ma, brother, sister, Granny etc. to do this for them & it's described as a "you don't need to do anything, I just need someone to sign a few things etc.".

I just wanna know the implications of this/obligations I'd have/what liability I'd be open to etc. I found an Information book on Company Directors at http://www.odce.ie/_fileupload/publications/ODCE_DN1Book2.pdf & it talks about things like duty to the company's creditors in case of insolvency, duty to ensure that proper books of account are kept etc. I would not have anything to do with the day to day running of the company but to absolve myself of liability for anything, does it mean I have to have a slightly active involvement?

The info book is all pretty verbose but I guess I just want to know how things work for silent directors of single member limited companies generally... Am I safe to say "yeah sure" to my friend and know that I won't be done for things I know nothing about?? Not saying I expect my friend to be engaging in fraudulent activities or anything - I just like to cover all bases before getting myself into something!

Thanks

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would say that you have read the situation quite well and you that you have construed the booklet you read fairly correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

By I've
    read the situation quite well
    you're confirming that I will need to have a slightly active involvement & if that's more than I'm able to give to a company I've little interest in then I shouldn't go for it just to oblige a friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Inform your friend that you can have single director which will be included in the next companies act to be introduced.

Companies can have a single member though.

You can take appointment as director if you wish and then resign in a year.

Ensure that the proper forms for the CRO are completed and that you are included on the B1 for the companies next return.

Advertisement