Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pimp my satellite co.

Options
  • 06-12-2006 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

What,s the problem with broadband anywhere? Do people not know about it or is it 100euro a month considered too expensive by most?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I presume you mean that satalite internet company. Its impossible to use voice over ip or online gaming the only thing its good for is downloading. I presume you mean 2 way so satalite because theres lots of companys much cheaper for 1 way. 100 euro is a lot of money for most people especially when you can get a faster speed better service with quarter the price from dsl if you live in a broadband enabled area

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or indeed wireless from 1/5th the price, though wireless products are more variable than DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jasperdajester

Ok, two way satellite broadband is for companies who need a reliable broadband conection who can't get normal or wireless. Even wireless broadband is still unavailable to most people. Two way satellite broadband is BROADBAND ANYWHERE and is way more reliable than most cable broadband thats grinds to a halt in the mid afternoon, when too many people are trying to download at the same time. One of the reasons it's not a cheap as the rest is because it is a very good product for company who need a constant speed all the time. Jasper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Jasper/Worzel (or is that Gary?), if you're going to try and pimp your company, please:

1) Read the forum charter
    2) Improve your pimping methods (you suck)
    3) Provide *ANY* foundation for your ludicrous arguments
    4) Do it somewhere else (not this forum), because it'll be deleted again, even if you register for a new account (with your l33t pimping skillz)
    5) Develop a decent product offering and it will sell itself, without having to resort to such pathetic means!
    6) Have your website comply with the relevant legislation/EU Directives before pimping it!

Well, last post is a tad bit rude really, I have never posted here before but am told it's a good place to raise discussions. We are trying to work out views and opinions in Ireland for two way satellite broadband, plus points, bad points etc, also to get the word out to people and spread awareness as many people don't seem to have a clue that you can get broadband ANYWHERE!!! Is that wrong? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

CGarvey's reply was highly civil. I don't think you deserved such civility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Awww give the guy a break. They're the best double act since Laurel and Hardy.

Ok, maybe i need to learn the rules and no I'm not the worzel who started this!!! Is 99 p/m too much for companies who need broadband who are away from other options, i have had a 2 way system for years and am very happy with it apart from the cost, but, is is my only option, and no, i did not pick the title for this pimp my sat company! What's this place for if it's not to talk about such things!??? Come on, educate me, I'm a newby! Is Satellite broadband the wrong topic or what?

Satellite <> Broadband.

yawn...

Satellite can be Internet if you are desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Ok, maybe i need to learn the rules and no I'm not the worzel who started this!!! Is 99 p/m too much for companies who need broadband who are away from other options, i have had a 2 way system for years and am very happy with it apart from the cost, but, is is my only option, and no, i did not pick the title for this pimp my sat company! What's this place for if it's not to talk about such things!??? Come on, educate me, I'm a newby! Is Satellite broadband the wrong topic or what?

€99 a month is too much for broadband especially VSAT, Fibre maybe but not satellite, I use one-way satellite from Skydsl and am happy with everything except the 1GB download limit it works out at €43.89 a month and I would not pay another cent for Internet usage, ASTRA2CONNECT is rumoured to likely cut the cost of 2-way satellite internet access from Next Year so any €99 a month product will quickly be eradicated with the cheaper connection it will offer.

In my opinion I think that any Broadband package that costs more than €45 a month is a rip-off. the only people who would then subscribe are those who really have to for work or for business and those people are making money back so it is just another expense.

2-Way satellite with its current pricing structure is never going to help Ireland's broadband mess and I would prefer if it never existed as it gives the government an excuse to say ahh but you can get Broadband all you need is a big dish and enough money to fill it. Also I might add that Satellite of any form or description is not broadband but rather a download accelerator, a bit like adding Nitrous Oxide to a souped up motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well, last post is a tad bit rude really, I have never posted here before but am told it's a good place to raise discussions. We are trying to work out views and opinions in Ireland for two way satellite broadband, plus points, bad points etc, also to get the word out to people and spread awareness as many people don't seem to have a clue that you can get broadband ANYWHERE!!! Is that wrong? :confused:

Please let them keep posting. They are doing their company more harm than good at this stage. There are enough idiots running telecoms companies in this country already - would be great if we could contribute to trimming those numbers down.

Ok, thank you people, this is the 1st time I've ever posted to a forum so i was surprised at the response, but an issue it is, i live too far away from anywhere to get anything apart from 2 way satellite, it is over priced but i need it, if theres another crowd coming in cheaper then I will switch, i was in town today using normal cable broadband and it was very bad, maybe if your not in rural ireland its ok, but here the contention is so bad you can't run a business on it, wire less seems to be ok but many people can't get it, as for SkyDsl metioned before how are you getting on with it? I was reselling a while back but gave up due to poor service, they now using atlantic bird instead of eurobird 3 and it seems to be alot better, you should be getting more than, sorry was it 1 gig for that money, it should be 3 gig, i would call them if i were you. Gd Luck, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jesus...

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Ok, thank you people, this is the 1st time I've ever posted to a forum so i was surprised at the response, but an issue it is, i live too far away from anywhere to get anything apart from 2 way satellite, it is over priced but i need it, if theres another crowd coming in cheaper then I will switch, i was in town today using normal cable broadband and it was very bad, maybe if your not in rural ireland its ok, but here the contention is so bad you can't run a business on it, wire less seems to be ok but many people can't get it, as for SkyDsl metioned before how are you getting on with it? I was reselling a while back but gave up due to poor service, they now using atlantic bird instead of eurobird 3 and it seems to be alot better, you should be getting more than, sorry was it 1 gig for that money, it should be 3 gig, i would call them if i were you. Gd Luck, lol

My skydsl is very good speed and reliabily are excellent and the customer service is good too although I only had to contact them a few times. I have only a 1GB download allowance which averages 30MB a day which I find to be fairly crap now as I have gotten more into YouTube and sites which tend to drink megabytes like an american car does petrol.

I am now trying to download a driver off the Dell site which is 220MB and rather than driving the 40Miles return trip to my nearest Broadband Internet Cafe to download it I shall have to download it on Dial-up (which is about a 25 hour download). To download it on Skydsl would cut off too many of my MB's and leave me stranded when I would need it then.

Luckily I can pause the Driver Download and will download it in dribs and drabs while I am online, I might overnight too if it isn't a success. I have 180hrs Dial-up from BT so am fine there. I find the biggest drawback the 1GB limit and if it was only an extra 500MB would make a massive difference.

I will have to get onto them about it though and get the Data limit extended. I can download as much as I like but it is 1.5¢ per MB after the 1GB limit is breached which harks back to the days of Eircom Pay-As-You-Go Dial-up *shuddders* I can remember watching the clock for 6PM to go online to check my email etc.

Send on details of your company and two-way satellite by PM as it might be of interest to someone I know who is trying to work from home on a 9.4kbps connection, and has cushy expenses from the company they work for. Apparently Ireland is the only country to have Dial-up related mental illness and dial-up hair loss*

*Joking but really it is a f*cking disgrace.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote:
    Satellite <> Broadband.

yawn...

Satellite can be Internet if you are desperate.
    Or if you have money to burn and need a backup for your some of your most important links. As others have suggested it's a only really an option if you can't get anything else or you MUST have broadband.

Of course if you live up north and you can't get broadband BT will install satelite for you at no extra cost, but this is BT's decision and really only for those who live in isolated valleys, beyond the reach of normal ADSL and wireless technologies.

Down here much of the population is within range of ADSL, if the lines were maintained to international standards, pair splitters removed, and exchanges upgraded.

Satellite is a way of subsidising Eircom. As they can turn around and say there is an alternative. And yes I've used Satellite one way and it was painful, low latency, occasionally you got impressive download speeds , but at other times of high contention because of overselling it was indistinguishable from dial up.

Can you still use the tele2 unlimited calls of up to 1 hour or free out site working hours ? - if so then ISDN would give a better interactive experiance for most purposes apart from download only streams.

Dunno about tele2. I had to cancel them for my number port. Friday my number ported so no eircom line at all now.

3G / HSPDA etc is about €50 a month. Twice ISDN speed of 2 channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd forgotten how bad broadband is in Ireland.
    Here you can get 18Mb unlimited, yes unlimited, including TV and unlimited landline calls within France for €34.90 a month. They have just brought out HD as well, not sure how much exrta that costs.
    I'm in a rural area a couple of clicks outside the town so I have to get by on 512kb unlimited for €24.90 with no TV option.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote:
    3G / HSPDA etc is about €50 a month. Twice ISDN speed of 2 channels.
    Forgot that :o
    Yeah I guess it's a better option than ISDN/satellite if you are near a 3G mast, and of course far more portable and easier to set up in a new location.

And half the cost would be paid for by cancelling your land line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Ok, maybe i need to learn the rules and no I'm not the worzel who started this!!!

Oh please!

This time, I'll be a bit less civil then. You have my apologies in advance. Oh, and you're banned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement