Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

short consumer rights question...

Options
  • 06-12-2006 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the boards but I searched and couldn't find anything.....

I believe that if a consumer buys a product from a retail outlet and the product is found to be faulty then the retailer is obliged to give the consumer back their money or replace the product with a new one....true or false?

Backround: my brother bought a laptop from a shop, I have looked at it and the onboard wireless LAN chip is not working, I told him to bring it into the shop, they said they would have to return it to the manufacturer, get it checked, blah, blah, blah. He only bought it two days ago, I think he should be entitled to him money back or a replacement....am I right?

Thanks
    Sconsey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.
    When it comes to computers - you'd generally be expected to accept a repair on at least 2 occasions, to be fair. Although, in this case: Refund. Only bought two days ago? That'd suggest it's not of merchantable quality. What shop did you purchase from? Are you a certified hardware engineer? how did you confirm that it's faulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

If its only two days old and it is actually faulty they are obliged to replace it of you dont want a repair, you dont have to take a repair of something thats less then 28 days old.

They are allowed to confirm its fault however, this invloves returning it to the manufacturer for testing. This is to rule out joe soap who thinks hes a computer expert diagnosing his own faults and costing the company a fortune on something thats not actually faulty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

nailer hit the "nail on the head" , may i suggest you don't mention that you had a look at the lan card either because chances are they'll void the warranty on it straight leaving him without a leg to stand on

had to return my laptop for repair recently (after repairing it twice myself internally) didn't tell the shop though and i got a replacement

back on topic they are entitled to confirm fault with laptop first before rectifying the issue by repair , replacement or refund

Advertisement