Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router-specific adaptors?

• 06-12-2006 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've had a question on my mind that google can't seem to solve for me. I've opened up my fair share of access points in my time, and I've found a number of different wi-fi cards in them - mostly mini-PCI cards and some PCMCIA cards. They're usually strange brands, some of them broadcom based and so forth. In some cases I can take them out and put them in my laptop and used them as client adaptors, though it's often hard to find drivers for them. I've never seen something inside them that I would expect to find in a laptop with one exception. My question is, is there something particular about these cards that distinguishes them from the usual 802.11 client adaptors? A lot of them are claimed to be "high-powered", which I suppose would make them better for coverage, and indeed, they seem to pick up good signal.

I was wondering if they were designed specifically to have more clients connecting to them? I know the DHCP server and the other parts of the wireless access point are designed for this, but is the card specific in some way? I ask because I'm planning on building a linux-based access point at some stage, and I don't know if I should use just any old card or something built for a router. Thanks.

Advertisement