Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WPA1/2 on Ad Hoc home network?

• 06-12-2006 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Ok, my brother got a Dell laptop with Wi-Fi, and whined at me until I set up my own PC as an access point.
    So I made a network bridge between my broadband router (non-wireless) and the Wi-Fi network card that came with my MSI motherboard and the network is running ok I guess.
    It's Ad-Hoc or Peer to Peer.

A few things I'd like to know are:
    1. They're both 54Mbps devices, the network card and the card in the laptop, so why does it say Connected at only 11Mbps? Do I have to tell it to use 802.11g somewhere for it to be 54Mbps?

2. The XP View Wireless Networks thing is a bit weird to me, sometimes it says I (on the PC) have to connect to the wireless network that is being broadcast from my PC!
    Do both me and my brother on his laptop have to connect?
    We've both set up the same way (since it's working), ad-hoc, WEP, Shared network key.

3. What's key index for in the Preferred networks properties?
    I have it at 1 now...

4. I have the option to set up "WPA-None" in the properties too, but my brother doesn't, how can I get it or WPA2 for better security, I know WEP is hackable.
    I have it to Shared now but there's an Open option, which I'm sure means anyone can try to login with a key?
    And since it's Ad-hoc, the Authentication tab is greyed out, woul it be better to switch?

Thanks fellas. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Solve most of your problems and buy a dedicated access point. As you have it, your bro is using your network bandwith as well as his own.

Access points aren't that expensive these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ok so it's shared, that doesn't really bother me because it's a temporary situation anyway, he's going abroad for college soon (hence the laptop) and it's 2Mbit broadband, 1Mbit each! Which is fine, but how is the wireless only at 11Mbps?
    If the 54Mbps wireless connection was split for incoming/outgoing traffic, would it not be 54/2 = 27Mbps or something? (Crazy logic!)
    They're both 802.11g but they're performing as 802.11b, I want answers that aren't "buy this product and problem goes away"! :p

I'm not actually worried anyone will try to hack the WEP or anything, I'm looking for learning and understanding for my own benefit, so is WPA/WPA2 impossible the way I have it set up?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

That's fair enough. I could be wrong on some, most or all of this, so take with a pinch of salt but there is a huge amount of reference material out there.

If you have a 54Mbps wi-fi and just one device connects at 11Mbps [802.11b for example], the entire wi-fi network will come down to that speed.

Are you absolutely sure that both wi-fi cards are set to use full max speed? As far as I know, there is a setting in wi-fi drivers, to throttle it down to speeds as low as 1 or 2Mbps. However, if it's throttled and still 802.11g, I'm not sure if this will cause the entire network to grind down to that speed like adding a 802b device would.

Maybe someone else can answer better. 'm just not that used to ad-hoc wi-fi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Just because the devices are CAPABLE of "G" it doesn't mean they will always operate at "G". In fact it's very rare to operate at full speed. The system will step back the speed until both parties work satisfactorily. The further away the two parties get the weaker the signal the lower the speed you get.

Another factor may be what some makers call Interference Robustness, this can step the speed back to make a more reliable - if somewhat slower - connection. If the option is available switch it off.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Also read this about ad-hoc wireless networks. Might answer your question ?! Google is your friend !

ZEN

Advertisement